SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE September 2005

Re: Did they blow up the levees?

Louis Proyect <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:01:30 -0400

Mitchel Cohen wrote:

> Huge numbers of people have gotten involved in projects because they
> feel that their government has betrayed them. In fact, that is how I
> got involved at  first in the movement against U.S. imperialism in
> Vietnam. The ideals we're taught in school -- y'know, "liberty and
> mustard for all" -- we believe, as kids. When it is undermined we
> often feel betrayed. How we deal with that feeling of betrayal depends
> to a great extent on the presence of people (hopefully leftists, but
> the fascists organize off of this same principle, in the other
> direction) who say, "your feelings are justified. You ARE being
> betrayed."

First of all, Mitchel, could you please delete text from the previous
message you are replying to? There is no reason to waste the People's
Bandwith by replicating every single word that is found in the message
that you are replying to.. The delete key should be on the righthand
side of your keyboard, by the way.

Now, on to the substance.

> If you come to any of the 9-11 meetings, you'll find people who were
> very apolitical having gotten politicized extremely quickly -- AND,
> very radical as a result of the participation of many leftists
> (including the Greens).

If the meetings are consumed with issues such as the lack of evidence of
a plane striking the Pentagon, they are wasting their time. In fact, I
have no idea what meetings you are talking about. Are they working on a
demonstration or something? What would be the demand? Turn over the
steel girders to Mike Ruppert?

> Not that I am being an opportunist -- I too believe (and have seen the
> evidence) for the government's "plans" to implement the USA Patriot
> Act, for example. They're spelled out very clearly in the Program for
> a New American Century documents. There's a great film narrated by
> Julian Bond that the 9-11 folks showed as their first film, that tied
> together the war in Iraq with PNAC and so forth. I've also written
> about how #7 World Trade Center was taken down by explosives (Larry
> Silverman, the owner, said as much on national T.V.). It is not hard,
> once people are involved and in motion, for them to transform their
> lives and become active leftists -- unless the "left" drives them
> away. Big mistake.

I don't know. My good friend Les Schaffer, who lurks here or did at one
time, has a PhD from Cornell in physics and is a professional engineer.
He thinks that the WTC collapses, including #7, are understandable to
anybody who is versed in metallurgy and heat transfer, as he is.

> As to some of the nonsense on WBAI, yea, I agree with you that there's
> a lot of ridiculous speculation and ... well ... stupidity. But
> listen  lately to WakeUp call -- now hosted by Deepa Fernandez, and
> her often all-women programs (what a welcome change) are much more
> trenchant -- especially in interviewing people from  New Orleans and
> allowing "us masses" to speak for ourselves.

You know, I listened to WBAI for the first time in months today. Maybe
years. It is unlistenable, preaching to the choir. Horrible stuff.

> So I URGE you, take a step back from sniping at so-called "conspiracy
> theorists" as your main target and go after the real conspiracy which
> is the official story around  9-11 and around New Orleans.

What's wrong with the official story? Islamic radicalism is a
well-documented phenomenon. Since most of what I have heard here about
New Orleans has an ephemeral quality,  I won't comment except to say
that the cause of the disaster is most certainly neglect of the sort
that can be found in every major city sitting on an environmental fault
line like Mike Davis writes about.

> Capitalism requires government planning in order to survive; that's
> why Marx said that the government is the executive arm of the ruling
> class. They plan (read: "Conspire") to sell us things we don't need,
> send us to wars to fight for oil and empire and profits, and destroy
> the earth. Every time the President's cabinet meets, it's a
> "conspiracy". Every time a corporate Board of Directors meets,  it's a
> conspiracy. Yes, capitalism has its own forces, pressures that propel
> it in various directions. But in this era, they really do meet to plan
> their exploitation and expropriations. Only some on the Left remain
> oblivious, even hostile, to this reality.

No, that reality I accept. What I won't accept is urban legends
circulated on the Internet about 9/11 by nitwits like Mike Ruppert,
Jared Israel and company.