]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  September 2005

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE September 2005

A World Turned Upside Down by George Monbiot

Wren Osborn <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:58:41 -0700

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=57&ItemID=8777

A World Turned Upside Down
The corporations are demanding regulation, and the government is
refusing to give it to them
by George Monbiot

September 20, 2005

Climate change denial has gone through four stages. First the fossil
fuel lobbyists told us that global warming was a myth. Then they agreed
that it was happening, but insisted it was a good thing: we could grow
wine in the Pennines and take Mediterranean holidays in Skegness. Then
they admitted that the bad effects outweighed the good ones, but
claimed that it would cost more to tackle than to tolerate. Now they
have reached stage 4. They concede that it would be cheaper to address
than to neglect, but maintain that it's now too late. This is their
most persuasive argument.

Today the climatologists at the Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado
will publish the results of the latest satellite survey of Arctic sea
ice(1). It looks as if this month's coverage will be the lowest ever
recorded. The Arctic, they warn, could already have reached tipping
point: the moment beyond which the warming becomes irreversible(2). As
ice disappears, the surface of the sea becomes darker, absorbing more
heat. Less ice forms, so the sea becomes darker still, and so it goes
on.

Last month, New Scientist reported that something similar is happening
in Siberia. For the first time on record, the permafrost of western
Siberia is melting(3). As it does so, it releases the methane stored in
the peat. Methane has 20 times the greenhouse warming effect of carbon
dioxide. The more gas the peat releases, the warmer the world becomes,
and the more the permafrost melts.

Two weeks ago, scientists at Cranfield University discovered that the
soils in the UK have been losing the carbon they contain: as
temperatures rise, the decomposition of organic matter accelarates,
which causes more warming, which causes more decomposition. Already the
soil in this country has released enough carbon dioxide to counteract
the emissions cuts we have made since 1990(4).

These are examples of positive feedback: self-reinforcing effects
which, once started, are hard to stop. They are kicking in long before
they were supposed to. The intergovernmental panel on climate change,
which predicts how far the world's temperature is likely to rise,
hasn't yet had time to include them in its calculations. The current
forecast - of 1.4 to 5.8 degrees this century - is almost certainly too
low.

A week ago, I would have said that if it is too late, then one factor
above all others is to blame: the chokehold big business has on
economic policy. By forbidding governments to intervene effectively in
the market, the corporations oblige us to do nothing but stand by and
watch as the planet cooks. But on Wednesday I discovered that it isn't
quite that simple. At a conference organised by the Building Research
Establishment, I witnessed an extraordinary thing: companies demanding
tougher regulations, and the government refusing to grant them(5).

Environmental managers from BT and John Lewis (which owns Waitrose)
complained that without tighter standards that everyone has to conform
to, their companies put themselves at a disadvantage if they try to go
green. "All that counts", the man from John Lewis said, "is cost, cost
and cost." If he's buying eco-friendly lighting and his competitors
aren't, he loses. As a result, he said, "I welcome the EU's Energy
Performance of Buildings Directive, as it will force retailers to take
these issues seriously."(6) Yes, I heard the cry of the unicorn: a
corporate executive, welcoming a European directive.

And from the government? Nothing. Elliot Morley, the minister for
climate change, proposed to do as little as he could get away with. The
officials from the Department of Trade and Industry, to a collective
groan from the men in suits, insisted that the measures some of the
companies wanted would be "an unwarranted intervention in the market".

It was unspeakably frustrating. The suits had come to unveil
technologies of the kind which really could save the planet. The
architects Atelier Ten had designed a cooling system based on the
galleries of a termite mound. By installing a concrete labyrinth in the
foundations, they could keep even a large building in a hot place -
like the arts centre they had built in Melbourne - at a constant
temperature without air conditioning(7). The only power they needed was
to drive the fans pushing the cold air upwards, using 10% of the
electricity required for normal cooling systems.

The man from a company called PB Power explained how the 4 megawatts of
waste heat poured into the Thames by the gas-fired power station in
Barking could be used to warm the surrounding homes. A firm called XCO2
has designed a virtually silent wind turbine, which hangs, like a
clothes hoist, from a vertical axis. It can be installed in the middle
of a city without upsetting anyone(8).

These three technologies alone could cut millions of tonnes of
emissions without causing any decline in our quality of life. Like
hundreds of others, they are ready to deploy immediately and almost
universally. But they won't be widely used until the government acts:
it remains cheaper for companies to install the old technologies. And
the government won't act because to do so would be "an unwarranted
intervention in the market".

This was not, I now discover, the first time that the corporations have
demanded regulation. In January the chairman of Shell, Lord Oxburgh,
insisted that "Governments in developed countries need to introduce
taxes, regulations or plans ... to increase the cost of emitting carbon
dioxide."(9) He listed the technologies required to replace fossil
fuels, and remarked that "none of this is going to happen if the market
is left to itself." In August the heads of United Utilities, British
Gas, Scottish Power and the National Grid joined Friends of the Earth
and Greenpeace in calling for "tougher regulations for the built
environment"(10).

So much for the perpetual demand of the thinktanks to "get government
off the backs of business". Any firm which wants to develop the new
technologies wants tough new rules. It is regulation that creates the
market.

So why won't the government act? Because it is siding with the dirty
companies against the clean ones. Deregulation has become the test of
its manhood: the sign that it has put the bad old days of economic
planning behind it. Sir David Arculus, the man appointed by Blair to
run the government's Better Regulation Task Force, is also deputy
chairman of the Confederation of British Industry, the shrillest
exponents of the need to put the market ahead of society. It is hard to
think of a more blatant conflict of interest.

I don't believe it is yet too late to minimise climate change. Most of
the evidence suggests we could still stop the ecosystem from melting
down, but only by cutting greenhouse gases by around 80% by 2030. I'm
working on a book showing how this can be done, technically and
politically. But it has now become clear to me that the obstacle is not
the market but the government, waving a dog-eared treatise which proves
some point in a debate the rest of the world has forgotten.

www.monbiot.com