]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

UVMSTUDENTS Home

UVMSTUDENTS  September 2005

UVMSTUDENTS September 2005

Hurricane Katrina Efforts, Ski & Snowboard Club Pub Night, and more

Sarah Poirier <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:58:41 -0400

1. Students Needed for Campus Committees
2. Hurricane Katrina Efforts
3. Ski & Snowboard Club Pub Night
4. Club Profiles, Men Advocating Change and Water Polo
5. Congrats to the five new SGA senators!
6. 30th Annual George D. Aiken Lectures
7. Smokers wanted for UVM Research Study
8. UVM Serve-a-Thon
9. Have a complaint? Let SGA help

1. Have an opinion on Parking Violations, Student Health, or Library
environment and services ?  Are you a Nursing student?  Want to get
more involved on campus but don't have the time every week?

If you have an opinion on campus issues and want your voice heard in
any forum, we have opportunities for you.  Various committees across
campus are looking for student representatives, time commitments vary.
Check out
                         http://www.uvm.edu/sga/documents.php

and click on Campus Wide Committees and descriptions.  Contact
[log in to unmask] if you are interested or have any questions, or if you
have a concern that is not listed on a specific committee.  Get your
voice heard!

2) Hurricane Katrina Efforts

The SGA is coordinating the University's efforts to help the areas
devastated by Hurricane Katrina.  Please let us know if your
organization is planning or would like to organize an event, or if you
would like to make a donation.  This is a great way to let others know
efforts that are going on across campus, as we are making schedules of
all plans in an effort to maximize fund raising.  Contact Katie Carl
at [log in to unmask] or call 656-7735 with any information or if you have
any questions.

3. Ski & Snowboard Club Pub Night
Friday September 23 from 9:00-12:00 @ Round Room
    Come to the 2nd Ski & Snowboard Club Pub Night at the
Round Room in Billings. We'll be showing the snowboard flick
Derelictica as well as the ski movie Ready, Fire, Aim. Hang out with
other kids in the club, watch the films on the projection screen and
listen to DJ Danimal tear it up on the turn tables. Those who are 21+
will have the opportunity to buy beer from the bar and everyone else
can enjoy various beverages and snacks that will be on hand.

4. Club Profiles, Men Advocating Change and Water Polo

Men Advocating Change (MAC) is a group dedicated to exploring a variety
of issues affecting UVM students. We hold meetings at which we discuss
issues that are often ignored. We speak about issues of masculinity,
relationship violence, gender equity, what it takes to be a "real" man,
messages in the media about how men should act, and much much more. We
are active in the UVM and Burlington communities. Men and women are
invited to join this social justice group. We meet Tuesdays at 8:30PM in
Wright 103 next to the Rotunda in CWP. Check out http://www.uvm.edu/mac
for more details.

Club Coed Water Polo!
No experience necessary! Just come with a bathing suit to the UVM pool
on Monday-Thursday for practice from 10:00-11:30PM. All levels are
welcome! Questions? Email Callie at [log in to unmask]

5. Congrats to the five new SGA senators!

Maria Dirolf                Josh Miller                Ben Crockett
           Jane Zucker                   Jacquie Bell

6. 30th Annual George D. Aiken Lectures

Please join us for the 30th Anniversary year of the George D. Aiken
Lectures as we explore several key issues facing Vermont in the coming
30 years: the global economy, the landscape, and our health and well
being.

The first FREE lecture is September 29, 2005 at 6 PM in Ira Allen
Chapel, which lays the groundwork for the series as we explore 5 Big
Questions About the Future with Atul Dighe. Go online for more
information and to reserve your ticket at http://learn.uvm.edu/aiken

7. Smokers wanted for UVM Research Study - not a quit smoking treatment

Smokers wanted for a UVM research study on factors affecting cigarette
smoking, You must be a healthy adult, 18-55 years old, and be willing
to discontinue smoking (if asked to do so) for monetary compensation
for the duration of the study. This IS NOT a smoking cessation
treatment program.The study involves meeting with us three times daily
for 14 consecutive days; 5 minutes in the morning, 5 minutes in the
afternoon, and
approximately 20 minutes in the evening. Session times are flexible.

You could earn up to $558 for your participation, Call at 656-5360 for
more information.

8. UVM Serve-a-thon

Make a change this Saturday, September 17th from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Free breakfast and lunch, sign up at www.uvm.edu/~hearts.   Sponsored
by Community Service Programs and Volunteers in Action

9. Do you have complaints about... construction, food, scheduling, bus
routes, parking or anything else at UVM??? Contact SGA at

http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmsga/ticksmeoff.php

Have a great weekend! -Sarah

--
Sarah Poirier