Westford birds

Juan Klavins <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:33:13 +0000

Migratory and other species observed at 700 Osgood
Hill Rd, Westford by Juan Klavins and Sarah Frey:

Now that the Palm Warbler (Dendroica palmarum) was
mentioned, we would like to comment on another record
a day ago (September 4th). It was during the afternoon
and the bird was catching invertebrates over the dry
lawn, easily recognized by the typical movement of the
tail while it’s perching.

In terms of Hummingbirds (Trochilidae), I am still
seeing some around in the yard (one yesterday
Wednesday, and two today) occasionally.

About other migratory species -besides some Warblers
species (Parulidae):

1-	We saw a Merlin (Falco columbarius) on a dead tree
over the wetland (September 2nd).
2-	Picidae (Woodpeckers): both species of Picoides
(Hairy and Downy) are frequent here (also at our
feeder), the numbers of Colaptes (Flicker) increased
since the end of august, sometimes we can hear the big
one (not the ghost) and Sphirapicus (Sapsucker) is
common, both juveniles and adults.
3-	Tyrannidae (Tyrants): lots of Sayornis phoebe (8-10
a day), and that is probably it… Anyway, some
scattered records of the regular breeding species of
Vermont are not surprising yet, but in general they
are not singing any more (except for Sayornis). Some
Olive-sided Flycatcher (Contopus cooperi) passing
through (one of the groups had 8 individuals).
4-	Vireonidae: some records of Vireo philadelphicus
(1st and 7th of September), Warbling Vireo (Vireo
gilvus) still singing during the past four days (one
and two at the same time), one Blue-headed Vireo
(Vireo solitarius) singing, September 3rd.
5-	The swallows (Hirundidae) here are apparently gone
(last record of Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica was on
the 2nd of September).
6-	Thraupidae: Rose-breasted Grosbeak Pheuticus
ludovicianus and Scarlet Tanager Piranga olivacea
(only yellowish-green individuals) are less frequent
than a three weeks ago.
7-	Sparrows… It is another chapter. I (JK) am a baby
birder in Vermont: still learning. The first record of
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) for
our list was on September 3rd, not singing and
apparently an adult of the white form. Some Field
Sparrow Spizella pusilla and Chipping Sparrow Spizella
passerina are occasionally observed nearby the
feeders.

The three baby Sialia sialis (Bluebird) that were born
in the nest box of the yard are around still (up to
date September 8th) and since they went out of the
nest (August 5th), they are together with another
group of juveniles (2-3 individuals more) and the
adults, that now are molting to a dull plumage.

Juan Klavins

Correo Yahoo!