]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  September 2005, Week 5

COMMUNET September 2005, Week 5

Roundup Of Google Size Announcement Coverage

John Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:05:54 -0400

Excerpt the CSS Internet News.

See end of message for details.

Starting 1 November 2005...

The Online Learning Series of Courses presents...

How to Search the Internet, Level 1.

For details send an email to

[log in to unmask] with sendinfo search1 in the subject line.

Roundup Of Google Size Announcement Coverage

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050927-085708

Yesterday was pretty much spent by me writing my story about Google
claiming to be most comprehensive search engine but also dropping any page
count from its home page. That story, if you missed it, is up here: End Of
Size Wars? Google Says Most Comprehensive But Drops Home Page Count. Now
that I've emerged from my writing cocoon, here's a roundup of what others
are saying on the subject:

http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3551586

     * We wanted something special for our birthday is the post on Google's
blog telling the world it is 1,000 times larger than when it started in
September 1998, three times larger than any other search engine, but no
mention of the actual count or that the count has been removed from the
home page. Instead, Google asks readers to "see for yourself" how effective
the new index is.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/we-wanted-something-special-for-our.html

       The post also points at a new Sizing Up Search Engines page where
Google explains that it could prove the number of unique documents it has
but doesn't. Instead, it tells readers "you can prove it yourself" and
advises them to search for uncommon information as a test.

http://www.google.com/help/indexsize.html

     * Google Announces New Index Size, Shifts Focus from Counting from
John Battelle covers how he also sees the index wars as over "at least in
terms of raw counting" and how it shifts the debate "back to relevance,
where honestly, it really belongs." Absolutely!

http://battellemedia.com/archives/001889.php

     * The end of the index size wars (we hope) from Charlene Li is pleased
like John, like me, like Phil Bradley and no doubt many, many others that
we're getting away from "mine is bigger than yours" comparisons, though she
sees the obvious irony of Google still saying its bigger as part of the
pullback.

http://blogs.forrester.com/charleneli/2005/09/the_end_of_the_.html

http://www.philb.com/blog/2005/09/cease-fire-in-search-engine-sizes.htm

       She also asks, "How long do you think it will be before some
journalist does some math and writes that Google's index has 60 billion
documents? Hopefully, never." Well, she's effectively a journalist on her
blog, so never just became reality. But of course someone was to publish
the simple math, if not her.

       The point is, when both Google and Yahoo themselves tell you that
their counts aren't comparable, then it doesn't matter what the number is
that either releases. It's like Google saying it has "60 billion GoogleTons
of pages" and Yahoo saying it has "20 billion YahooTons of pages." What's
the conversion rate for GoogleTons into YahooTons? We don't know. And if
you don't have that common metric, then you can't compare the figures.

     * Google: No, really ours is the biggest, you'll just have to trust us
on that ok? from Nick over at Threadwatch sees Google taking a "slap" at
Yahoo over the issue of duplicated entries. That's ironic, too, since if
you read my story, I showed an example where Google has three duplicated
entries in one example -- all of which are counted. It's another reason why
I'm glad we're getting away from counts.

http://www.threadwatch.org/node/3983

       Nick also wonders if rather than a pullback from the index wars,
we're seeing an escalation. I say a pullback, Nick. Yahoo's already making
statements that it agrees users should judge for themselves. I'd expect
that they'll later further say they consider themselves to be most
comprehensive and take the Google line that users can verify this for
themselves. As long as we don't see actual count figures come back as
"proof" of comprehensiveness, we may move along for a bit.

     * Google: Mystery index from Jean Véronis who's done some great
watching of search engine counts notes that the Google claim meshes with
his estimate of where the index was going.

http://aixtal.blogspot.com/2005/09/google-mystery-index.html

     * Google says size matters less, drops search boasts from Reuters has
a basic overview of the move by Google.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050927/wr_nm/google_search_dc_1

     * Google to take down front-page boast about index size from the
Associated Press provides another overview with the idea that verification
is left to a user "taste test."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-09-27-google-count_x.htm

     * How Many Pages in Google? Take a Guess from the New York Times also
has the "taste test" idea and gets Google CEO Eric Schmidt "not to rule
out" the idea that a prize might be given for the best guess at its size.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/27/technology/27search.html?ex=1285473600&en=690f19edefa7572e&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

     * Google touts size of its search index has Google ending the CNET
news blackout, with Google CEO Eric Schmidt doing a phone interview on the
announcement along with the Yahoo statement others are also being given:

         "We congratulate Google on removing the index size number from its
home page and for recognizing it is a meaningless number," Yahoo said in a
statement. "As we've said in the past, what matters is that consumers find
what they are looking for, and we invite Google users to compare their
results to Yahoo search at http://search.yahoo.com."

http://beta.news.com.com/2100-1038_3-5883345.html

     * Open Letter To Google Chief Eric Schmidt is from WebmasterWorld
member reseller who has issues with Google's claims of being larger in
terms of "unduplicated" pages. My story above gives examples of how some
duplicate pages are already in Google. The complaint in partiular covers
the fact that while duplicate pages exist, de-duplication efforts may also
remove the original documents from Google, rather than mirrors.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/31280-25-20.htm

I may add further links as I see unique stuff flow in.

Yahoo Acused of Hijacking Voice Technology

By DAVID KRAVETS, Associated Press
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050929/ap_on_hi_te/yahoo_nuance;_ylt=AuIU_xo1jUgVqqrxF3zhaAMjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

SAN FRANCISCO - A Silicon Valley technology company is suing Yahoo Inc.
(Nasdaq:YHOO - news) for allegedly stealing trade secrets by hiring away 13
key engineers who had nearly completed its interactive speech technology
project.

Nuance Communications Inc. said it would ask a Santa Clara County judge
Friday to block Yahoo from allowing the engineers to work on the technology
it intended to market to Yahoo and other Internet companies.

The California case concerns voice recognition technology that Nuance says
was at least 75 percent complete before its vice president of research and
development, Larry Heck, took a job at Santa Clara-based Yahoo. About a
dozen Nuance engineers on the project followed him to Yahoo this month,
leading Nuance to conclude that Yahoo is attempting to swipe its technology.

"Yahoo and Heck now plan to replicate this technology for Yahoo, depriving
Nuance of a valuable corporate opportunity, and positioning Yahoo as a
competitor," Jeffrey Chanin, Nuance's attorney, said in court documents.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in Santa Clara County Superior Court, is the
latest by a technology company using courts to protect their intellectual
turf when engineers or executives defect to other companies.

Earlier this month, a Washington state judge cleared the way for a former
Microsoft Corp. executive to work for rival Google Inc., but ruled the
executive could not work for his new employer on projects he worked on at
Microsoft.

Chanin accused Yahoo and Heck of colluding in violation of California's
unfair competition law to "cannibalize" Nuance's hard work, commitment and
investment.

Menlo Park-based Nuance, which produces a variety of voice-automation
software applications for customer-service centers, declined to comment on
the lawsuit.

Yahoo, however, said it is not colluding with Heck or the other engineers
to steal Nuance's technology.

"We believe the claims are without merit and we plan to defend ourselves
vigorously," Yahoo spokeswoman Kiersten Hollars said.

The technology at issue is called Nuance Directory Assistance Automation,
which allows phone users to get information, such as phone listings,
without speaking to a person.

Nuance says the technology is relevant as cell phones and Internet
telephony are merging in some of the hottest technological crazes. Internet
auction site eBay Inc., for example, is acquiring Skype, a free
computer-to-computer phone service, for more than $2 billion.

Nuance said that one day its voice technology could enable users to search
the Web with their voices instead of typing on a keyboard.

Also in this issue:

- Report: Ice-free Arctic summers possible by 2100
   The Arctic ice shelf has melted for the fourth straight year to its
smallest area in a   century, driven by rising temperatures that appear
linked to a buildup of greenhouse   gases, U.S. scientists said Wednesday.
- Sub-$100 laptop design unveiled
   Nicholas Negroponte, chairman and founder of the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology   Media Labs, has been outlining designs for a sub-$100 PC.
- Net phoning starts to win friends
   Awareness of net calling technology is steadily growing among Britons,
suggests a survey.
   Almost half of those questioned said they knew that they could make
cheap phone calls via   the net using so-called voice over IP (Voip) technology
- Stroke research uses cyber space
   A team of four University of Ulster researchers have won an award for
their hi-tech work   in helping people with strokes regain use of their limbs.
- Broadband usage up
   Two out of every five Americans have broadband access at home, according
to a report by   Nielsen/NetRatings.
- Roundup Of Google Size Announcement Coverage
   Yesterday was pretty much spent by me writing my story about Google
claiming to be most   comprehensive search engine but also dropping any
page count from its home page. That   story, if you missed it, is up here:
End Of Size Wars? Google Says Most Comprehensive But   Drops Home Page
Count. Now that I've emerged from my writing cocoon, here's a roundup
of   what others are saying on the subject:
- Yahoo Acused of Hijacking Voice Technology
   A Silicon Valley technology company is suing Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO -
news) for allegedly   stealing trade secrets by hiring away 13 key
engineers who had nearly completed its   interactive speech technology project.
- Some Web Telephones Can't Re-Use Numbers
   Kirsten Dixson was proud to be an early adopter when she signed up her
career coaching   business for Internet-based telephone service earlier
this year.
- PDAs expected to change healthcare in future
   Personal digital assistants (PDAs) could change the way healthcare is
delivered in the   future by providing doctors with easy access to patient
data and the latest information on   treatment.
- Mobile Viruses Could Get Nasty Fast
   The dream of a connected world where PCs and mobile phones can
communicate with the   digital home and other devices is supposed to make
life easier. But it could instead make   life far more dangerous if malware
developers have their way.
- Big Blue Offers Solutions for Graying Workforce
   IBM has announced new consulting services for organizations facing the
loss of   baby-boomers as they near retirement age.

Member: Association for International Business