Video Podcasting

Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:36:28 -0400

I managed to cobble together my first video podcast.

The trickiest part was figuring out what file type to assign to the
video to make both iTunes and Movable Type happy.

The movies was assembled from several short (motion jpeg) video clips
captured by my Konica-Minolta Dimage Xt digital camera. I perhaps
needlessly lengthened the production pipeline by importing these into
Apple iMovie (which necessitated transcoding from motion jpeg to
iMovie format -- latest iMovie allows you to choose DV-NTSC or
MPEG-4) to add some titles and transitions, then exporting using the
new QuickTime 7.03 "Save for iPod Video" preset, which seemed to take
ages to complete as it transcoded the video yet again into iPod
compatible format (Audio AAC, Stereo, 44.100 kHz; video H.264, 320 x
240, Millions; data rate 711.09 kbits/sec).

I uploaded the resultant 14+ MB file to my zoo public_html folder, in
case I needed to set the appropriate mime-type to make it play right.

iMovie (and QuickTime Pro, if you prefer) saves these movies with an
"M4V" extension. The MovableType "MT-Enclosures" plug-in, which is
essential to making a podcast a podcast, doesn't recognize .m4v
files. It took some trial and error to discover that the trick was to
rename the files using the "mp4" extension. Then, I needed to edit
the .htaccess file in the folder on zoo where I stashed the video so
that www.uvm.edu would recognize the mp4 extension, too. Technical
Services Group just updated this globally on xxx.blog.uvm.edu, so MP4
files uploaded via MovableType should download OK (assuming that
MovableType allows you to upload 14+ MB files_

So, I have listed my blog with the iTunes music store (search for
skiing) and subscribed to it with my copy of iTunes. The video was
automatically downloaded, and transferred to my iPod when I synched
it up last. Plays great, on little screen or TV.

I dunno if this represents a new paradigm  in Educational Media, but
it sure is fun.

http://waw.blog.uvm.edu/

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77                              |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-656-0872  vv                             |
| aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath      http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/    |