SUMMARY - JCAHO question

Catherine Voutier <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:33:02 +1000

Thanks for everyone with my JCAHO question! Here is the summary - all sigs removed:

I am very tempted to reply that there are no JCAHO standards for journals.
JCAHO standards are really pretty loose when it comes to specifics.  They
say that the patrons must have access to current information but do not
make specific recomendations about how to achieve this goal.  Many of us
think they need better standards for hospital libraries (I confess I wrote
an article on this published in The Bulliten of the Medcal Library
Association see Why the Joint Commission on Accreditition of Healthcare
Organizations should add new Regulations regarding  libraries  J Med Lib
Assoc  92(2):166-168

JCAHO doesn't specify exactly online versus print.  You just have to have a plan that meets your organization's "knowledge-based information needs".  So, I'm moving more and more to an online environment.  I plan to always keep a small browsing collection of journals with about 1 year backfiles and books in print format.  In the case of emergency loss of power or internet access, the local public library does provide internet connections and we have the ability of remote login to Medline, CINAHL, etc. and access remotely to our fulltext holdings from the public library.  We've also made a reciprocal agreement with another hospital library to "back each other up" in the case of emergency.  If there was a region-wide power outage we do have our print backup and plan on contacting another library downstate for help.  The hospital generates its own power so we aren't dependent on the power grid entirely.  I could hook a fax machine up to our emergency phone system and our emergency power system and get articles faxed in from wherever I need. Catherine, JCAHO seldom mandates a particular solution to a hospital.  It insists on planning and preparation to meet local needs.  That's why it doesn't actually mandate that a hospital even HAVE a library or librarian.  They could "meet their knowledge-based information needs" by offering MDConsult in the hospital, by contracting with another library for service, by providing a secretary, a computer with PubMed and contracting with another library for Loansome Doc service. There are all kinds of models out there (good, bad and indifferent).

A small 25 bed hospital in the country probably won't provide a medical library.  It might have a few subscriptions to journals put in the doctor's lounge, provide a computer with internet access, and have a few books on toxicology, a Harrison's and a Current Diagnosis in the ER.  They could argue that for the ordinary conditions they treat this "meets their needs".  Challenging cases are referred elsewhere. As a hospital librarian I would argue that it DOESN'T meet the needs of modern medicine very well but it would probably be fine with JCAHO.

You can read about the JCAHO requirements for IM  (information management)
on the MLA Net website:
Medical Library Association: Librarian's Guide to JCAHO Survey
http://www.mlanet.org/resources/jcaho.html

On that website, you will find that this is the section of the JCAHO Manual
that sort of mentions libraries, and  both print and electronic resources;
it does not provide specific details.

The [JCAHO] knowledge-based information standard [that relates to libraries]
is IM.5.10:

Knowledge-based information resources are readily available, current, and
authoritative.
JCAHO defines knowledge-based information as "A collection of stored facts,
models, and information that can be used for designing and redesigning
processes and for problem solving. In the context of this manual,
knowledge-based information is found in the clinical, scientific, and
management literature."

The rationale for the standards delineates the purposes for ready access to
KBI for all hospital practitioners and staff. These purposes include
maintenance of competence, clinical and management decision making, patient
and family information, performance improvement and patient safety, and
educational and research needs.

The standard is expanded by the EP, which must be addressed in the PPR.
There are four EPs, and the scoring range for the EPs are 0, 1, 2, and NA:

1.  Library services are provided by cooperative or contracted arrangements
with other institutions, if not available on-site.
2.  The hospital provides access to information resources needed by staff in
print, electronic, Internet, audio, and/or other appropriate form.
3.  Knowledge-based resources are available at all times to clinical or
service staff, through electronic means, after-hours access to an in-house
collection, or other methods.
4.  The hospital has a plan to provide for access to information during
times when electronic systems are unavailable.

There is a set of standards that was developed by the Hospital Library
Section of MLA. (It is not at all connected with JCAHO)
http://www.hls.mlanet.org/otherresources/standards.html

I also emailed JCAHO themselves and this was their reply:

"The following standard would apply to JCAHO accredited hospitals:
"Standard IM.5.10
Knowledge-based information* resources are readily available, current, and
authoritative.
Rationale for IM.5.10
Hospital practitioners and staff have access to knowledge-based information
to do the following:
 Help them acquire and maintain the knowledge and skills needed to
maintain and improve
competence
 Help with clinical/service and management decision making
 Provide appropriate information and education to patients and families
 Support performance improvement and patient safety activities
 Support the institution's educational and research needs
Elements of Performance for IM.5.10
1. Library services are provided by cooperative or contractual arrangements
with other institutions, if not available on site.
2. The hospital provides access to information resources needed by staff in
print, electronic,
Internet, audio, and/or other appropriate form.?
3. Knowledge-based resources are available at all times to clinical/service
staff, through electronic means, after-hours access to an in-house
collection, or other methods.
4. The hospital has a plan to provide for access to information during
times when electronic
systems are unavailable."

I hope that you will find this information helpful.  Please feel free to
contact me again if I can be of further assistance.

I asked for similar information for the UK - here is one answer:

The most recent national standards here in the UK were produced by the
LINC Health Panel, later HELICON. Though neither of these bodies still
exists, what I think is still the most up-to-date version can be found
on the Web at
http://www.nelh.nhs.uk/librarian/Accreditation_Checklist_2nd_Edition_2002.pdf.
Potentially useful UK Web sites to browse are:
http://www.library.nhs.uk/forlibrarians/
http://www.lkdn.nhs.uk/

I also emailed the Australian body responsible for standards and - no reply as yet!!!

Best,
---
Catherine Voutier
Information & Research Officer
Centre for Clinical Effectiveness
Monash Institute of Health Services Research

++Mailing Address++
Level 1, Block E
Locked Bag 29
Monash Medical Centre