SUMMARY - NMLM Ideas/Suggestions

"Powell, Lynn" <[log in to unmask]>

Powell, Lynn

Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:28:15 -0400

promoting National Medical Librarians Month, below are the responses I
received.  I appreciate all that took the time to share.

Lynn Powell
Halifax Regional Medical Center
Medical Library
250 Smith Church Road
Roanoke Rapids, NC  27870

Phone:  252-535-8668
Fax:  252-535-8595
Email:  [log in to unmask]
1.
The NMLM2005 attachment (which I copied and pasted below) is from Gorgas
Memorial Library, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research

Celebrate National Medical Librarians Month
		@Gorgas Memorial Library
		serving WRAIR & NMRC
Tuesday 25 October 2005   1000-1330 hours

Link Out demonstration
	What we've always wanted! - PubMed citation icon takes you directly
to article
	See how it works & learn why it won't work for everything you need

LOANSOME DOC demonstration
	How to request articles we don't have in print, microfilm, or online
	Sign up with us as your servicing library
	See how to register online for LOANSOME DOC account
	See how to save possible orders while you check on local
availability

Cited Reference searching via DIALOG toolkit searches
	See who is citing your articles
	See who else is citing the same articles you are or will cite in
your next publication
	Learn when it would be advantageous to have librarians search for
you in SciSearch

Ask a library staffer almost anything while you enjoy light refreshments

2.
I am planning a series of events over 1 week -- I feel that with a single
event, the turnout won't be so good, and I really feel the need to market my
library. I'm thinking of having something 5 mornings a week. I will be
posting invitations in key areas, sending e-mails and paper invites to the
docs on the Medical Staff through the hospital's monthly medical staff
mailings.

I ordered a promotional item to go with the gazillion pens I have to give
away from vendors (Ebsco, Access Medicine, etc.). It's post-it pads with the
hospital logo and the heading "Rx for Quality health Information" -- and my
library name and contact info on the bottom.

I am a solo, so I was planning to have bagels, fruit and coffee/juice
available each morning of the week (M-F). I was going to have people take a
self-tour of the library (making up a little "passport" that they can stamp
at each stop themselves) and enter those who take the tour into a drawing
for prizes. None of my vendors were able to offer more than pens and mouse
pads so I had some hospital departments pitch in -- I have a gift
certificate to the hospital gift shop, a free massage at our Holistic
Center, and a 1-month membership and fitness evaluation at our on-site gym,
the Wellness Center. Our dietary dept. will provide the food and beverages
and charge them to the Library.

I was going to have 1 terminal dedicated to the online catalog, so people
can try it out - I will be launching this catalog for the first time that
week.

I was also going to have a table just outside the Library with some handouts
a basket of apples, and pens, etc. for 2nd and 3rd shifts if they want to
stop by.

Another thought was to set up a table in the Cafeteria at lunch time one day
so people can get some handouts and general information from me who normally
wouldn't come up to where the Library is.

As a solo, I am trying to organize this in a way that I can still get some
essential work done - with the self-serve approach, I can be out and about
with people when I am able, and  still do some work the rest of the day.

I plan to use hospital volunteers for help with set-up, food service, etc.

The handouts I have prepared include: the latest issue of my library
newsletter, explanations of our online resources, the MLA's top 10 medical
websites, a sheet on tips for searching the Internet for health information,
etc. I also have some bookmarks made up with our featured services and
contact information.

Lastly, we have a problem with overdues - my predecessor didn't fine people
at all, and a lot of books just end up on people's office shelves (we don't
yet lend to the public). So I've declared that week to be Overdues Amnesty
Week. I'm encouraging all to find those old books and return them in
exchange for a small prize (bag of Halloween Candy maybe) and whoever brings
in the Most Overdue book will get a larger prize (maybe the massage). This
will encourage those with the longest overdues to bring them in without
embarrassment or shame!

I'm planning to write about my experiences for Marketing Treasures and the
One Person Library newsletters later this year, to compare how planning my
first Open House jives with the reality of how it actually turns out.

Medical Library
St. Mary Medical Center
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3.
My name is Ivonne Martinez, I work at Dahlgren Memorial Library at
Georgetown University. Last year and this year I coordinated a READ
poster campaing (as ALA) with some of the medical facutly reading their
favorite book. Our theme is "cura personalis" which means taking care of
the whole person - in other words medical students should read more than
just medical books. This is also used as an outreach/liaison event where
everyone gets to know the faculty.
Be happy to talk more about it if interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4.
We are doing the following for NMLM 2005 :
1) a drawing where we ask participants to guess how many books and AV (not
counting journals) we have in the library
2) Winner gets a gift certificate to a local book store
3)  Other Door prizes include road atlases, etc.
All entrants can have a treat from the candy dish.
4) Book display of books enthusiastically recommended by our patrons (I have
a 1/4 size sheet listing their name and department slipped into each book on
display.  We are also encouraging people to make more recommendations.  This
gives people a sense of ownership to the libraries--they really can make a
contribution to the collections with just a suggestion!
5) Matching Game where participants match the recommended title to the
recommender's name--some of them are surprising!  This also shows the
breadth of our collections--not just health and medical, but audiobooks (for
fun!) and management titles as well.  This will appear in the corporate wide
Weekly newsletter.
6) Featuring/Introducing our new and improved Evidence-based Practice
pyramid in the style of U of Washingiton's EBM Summary of Tools and the
modified Hayes Pyramid.
7) Archival Photo albums where participants/visitors help us name the people
in the pictures from local events happening here at the hospital in recent
history.  These are always a hit as people stroll down memory lane ...  And
it's a useful task as we get the pictures labeled for future viewers.
8)  Bulletin Board with the MLA Poster and the Wisconsin Archives Week
poster (Wisconsin Women).

The Clark Family Health Science Library
Mercy Medical Center - Affinity Health System

~~~~~~~~~~
5.
I will post a message on our intranet about NMLMs, there will also be a
library committee meeting this month.  On Halloween, we will have an open
house with giveaways, games, and candy of course!

Health Science Library
Providence St. Joseph Medical Center

~~~~~~~~~~~~
6.
We made up a brochure on library services in the form of a menu with our
"Gourmet Fare" from the librarian/chefs.  We plan to have a table in the
cafeteria one day this month featuring our newest books and giving out
candy.  We are also having a book discussion with one of our own doctors who
has published a book called "The Search for Major Plagge: the Nazi who saved
Jews."

Tremaine Library
Middlesex Hospital
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7.  Last but not least....my plans....

I also plan to have a guessing game...maybe put some "cows tails" in a box
and have people guess the weight of the box.  Closest to the exact weight
will win a month's exercise at our hospital exercise program located in our
local Mall. The cow's tails "sort of" go along with the theme "Saddled with
Health Questions? We can Round Up Answers".  I plan to offer my promotional
activities the week of Oct. 24-28....during that week I will have available
library brochures, bookmarks, handouts of the top consumer health websites,
etc.  One of the days during that week I will dress up in western attire
with cowgirl hat, boots, jewelry, etc.  I will do my usual "used book" sale
as I have weeded quite a few from my collection.  Only selling them at a
price from 10 - $1.00 per book, I generally end up with enough money to
purchase one new book to add to the library collection.  I also have my
voice mail greeting as "October is National Medical Librarians Month.  Are
you saddled with health questions? We can round up answers."....then I go on
with....you have reached Lynn Powell in the Medical Library at...blah, blah,
blah....

Lynn Powell,
Halifax Regional Medical Center.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for use of
the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender at
the above address/telephone number.
THANK YOU.