Re: Question on Tracking Blog Hits

Justin Henry <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:10:22 -0500

Hi Tim,

Timothy Fox wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a blog and educational podcast
> ( http://tfox.blog.uvm.edu/supportiveclass/ )  but have no way to track
> how many people, if any, are viewing my site or subscribing to the
> podcast.  It is getting frustrating not knowing if I am talking to
> myself or if anyone is listening.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Does MT or UVM have a way to track hits to the blog?

MT does not have this functionality built in.

I don't know if there is software currently installed on the blog server
that will track and display visits in the manner you are looking for, or
what it might take to get something like that set up (but perhaps
someone else here does?).

> 2.  I have found Feedburner on the net.  It appears that I can set up a
> feed with them to my blog to track stats, but I am hesitant to sign up
> for fear it may mess up the feeds I already have or something even worse
> that I can not predict!

Feedburner is a service that makes links to all the feeds that you
publish on your blog.  The links to these feeds are formatted in such a
way that they will open up more easily for visitors who may be using a
variety of feed readers and other tools.  Providing a link to your
"burned" feed will bring users to a page that looks something like this:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/justinhenry

"Burning" your site doesn't alter anything on your blog - it merely
provides a "gateway" to services that enable readers to read your blog
and podcasts in various ways.

The tracking that feedburner suppplies depends on how
visitors/readers/listeners subscribe to your feeds.  As long as they
sign up for your feed via feedburner (i.e. if you provide a link on your
blog to your feedburner page, like the one above), then you can track
and view those stats when you log into your feedburner account.

These stats won't include visitors use the direct XML feed links from
your blog, however, or those who are already subscribed.  So, you may
not get an accurate picture from this data.

> Does anyone have experience with programs / feeds that will keep stats
> on your site and/or is this possible to do this through the UVM blog site?

AWStats (http://awstats.sourceforge.net/) is a good program, however it
would need to be installed and configured on the server, and as I
mentioned above I am not sure what that would entail.

Hope this helps,

-Justin

--
Justin Henry