]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BLOGGING Home

BLOGGING  November 2005

BLOGGING November 2005

Teaching, Learning, and Other Uses for Wikis in Academia

Steve Cavrak <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:09:54 -0500

Teaching, Learning, and Other Uses for Wikis in Academia
All Users Are Not Necessarily Created Equal
By Jude Higdon, Project Manager
The Center for Scholarly Technology
University of Southern California
Complete story at Campus Technology:

<http://www.campus-technology.com/news_article.asp?id=17502&typeid=156>

A Learning is For Everyone, Inc. article recommendation.

Like many academic technology groups at campuses around the country,
the Center for Scholarly Technology (CST) at USC has been wrestling
with how to implement various types of social software, such as blogs
and wikis, in the classroom. Over the past few years we have found
some very good uses for blogs, including peer-reviewed journaling,
Just-in-Time Teaching (Novak, et al, 1999), and meta-cognitive
reflective practice. While we hit a few stumbling blocks early on, we
seemed to be coming to some level of sophistication and adoption with
the use of blogs as tools for enhancing teaching and learning as we
entered into the 2005-2006 school year.

Use of wikis in the classroom has proved more elusive. While we never
like to advocate the use of technology as an end of itself, our group
saw great potential in the affordances of the wiki for teaching and
learning. Students co-constructing meaning in a democratized digital
space has a certain social constructivist (Bandura, 1976) elegance.
And yet we struggled to impart this sense of potential to our faculty
collaborators. By and large, people didn't seem ready for the
freewheeling, uncontrolled wiki environment.

___