NEWFARMERNET Archives

November 2005

NEWFARMERNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Allen Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont New Farmer Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:17:12 -0500

>Two farm-based positions are now available for the 2006 growing season at
>D Acres of New Hampshire.  D Acres is a nonprofit Organic Farm &
>Educational Homestead located in Dorchester, NH.  The farm consists of 180
>acres of woodlands, pasture and cultivated gardens that are utilized as a
>classroom for hands-on education in order to promote sustainable living
>and agriculture.  For more information about D Acres, please visit
><http://www.dacres.org>www.dacres.org.  An online application is available
>on the Opportunities page of our website:
><http://www.dacres.org/Opportunities.htm>http://www.dacres.org/Opportunities.htm.
>
>Garden Manager
>
>The Garden Manager will care for the annual gardens.  First and foremost,
>we are looking for a person that enjoys gardening.  We appreciate a strong
>work ethic and a high level of maturity.  Our farm consists of 180 acres
>of land, mostly forest.  Approximately two acres are cultivated with
>annuals.  We grow a wide variety of annual vegetables, mainly for onsite
>consumption.  Our largest crop is garlic.  We have a no-till system and
>prefer to design garden beds that flow with the contours of the
>land.  Rows are few and far between.  Our gardening philosophy is inspired
>by permaculture, French intensive, biodynamic and lasagna gardening.
>

>The Garden Manager is responsible for cultivation of the annual gardens,
>incorporating interns into the garden, and facilitating workshops that
>relate to annual gardening.  Candidates with seed to seed gardening
>exerience are preferred.
>

>After a six-week acclimation period, compensation for the GM includes room
>and board and $200/month plus catastrophic health insurance after six
>months.  Other benefits of employment at D Acres include: living and
>working with a committed long-term staff, opportunities to share
>knowledge, rural farm setting, organic food, and state-of-the-art kitchen
>facilities.  This job is a full-time (preferably residential) position.
>

>As a resident of D Acres, the GM is responsible for fulfilling the
>communal contract – one night of cooking each week, cleaning chores, and
>community meetings.  These responsibilities, shared by all residential
>staff and learners, require 5-8 hours each week, which are in addition to
>the 40 work hours required for the job.  The GM must be able to commit a
>minimum of 45 hours each week to the betterment of the community and
>garden related projects.
>

>Accommodations vary with availability, but generally residents live in
>treehouses in the woods.  Tenting or other rustic accommodations are also
>available.
>
>Kitchen Manager
>
>D Acres is looking for a unique, flexible individual to step into the role
>of Kitchen Manager (KM).  We are interested in individuals enthusiastic
>about community living, education and the development of a
> [...]

Allen Matthews
http://www.sare.org/publications/naf2/matthews.htm
Center for Sustainable Agriculture at UVM
http://www.vermontagriculture.com/newfarm.htm
63 Carrigan Drive - Ag. Eng. Bldg. Room 107
Burlington, Vt. 05405
phone: 802+656-0037
www.uvm.edu/sustainableagriculture