SCHOOL-IT November 2005

Re: WAN considerations

Jeff Wallis <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:21:01 -0500

We have a WAN that includes all 10 of our buildings.  We have fiber connections between some buildings, T1 lines between some, and DSL lines to others (some are point-to-point, some are VPN connections).  You really have to see what is available and what makes the most sense.  We have found that is more economical to share servers with PPP T1 lines then to run separate servers.  Our supervisory union shares several services and servers such as:

Student management software
Special Education Uniform IEP Development
Special Education Student Database
NetStorage * staff/student access from home
Virtual Office * threaded discussion forum for staff/students
K * 4 Report Card
Internet Content Filtering
Anti-Spam
Anti-Virus
Secure backup of files and documents (some over the wan
Web server with mapped drives for users to easily upload school web pages
CESU assessment database and reporting tool (VCAT)
Internet access
Firewall
Email system
FitnessGram physical education software
InfoCentre library card catalog
Help desk software
Patch management software
Library automation software
Directory Services
File/print services
Zenworks workstation management/imaging services

We have found that the using a terminal server environment (RDC or Citrix) uses the least amount of bandwidth and works best for slower client/server apps (we use this for our filemaker databases ie SpEdDoc, Report Card, etc).

We are in the process of adding an additional T1 line between some schools to increase bandwidth (so there will be two T1s multiplexed).

What types of technologies are available in your area?  What is the distance between your schools?

If you want to chat give me a call.

Jeff

--

Jeff Wallis
Chief Network Engineer

<[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Do you use a full T1 between buildings? We have been given a proposal of a
> 1.5 Mb frame split between three buildings. I nervous that this is not enough
> bandwidth.
>
> Doug

> Doug -
>
> In LSSU we have had a WAN set-up for two years now on T! lines and we
> use remote desktop (microsoft) to use applications (speddoc, Student
> management systems, other databases (both filemaker and access), limited
> printing, and limited file access,  remotely from different sites.  It
> has been working very well for us.
>
> Bill
>
> Bill Kimball
> Information Technology Director

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.