SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

November 2005

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"S. E. Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:49:35 -0800
From: 	"Walter Lippmann" <[log in to unmask]>

[CubaNews] Cuba Considers New Modes of Energy Production

 (News here about such new technologies as energy-saving light
bulbs to be distributed. Some of this is already going on in
the population of Havana. Some tell me the quality of these new
compact flourescents is not great and they break quickly. I've
also heard talk of electric shower heads, something which in
the past were purchased illegally by people who had friends that
bought them at diplomatic shops. Now it's turned out that the
amount of energy used to heat peoples' showers by heating water
on the stove is more than the amount it would take if an electric
heater at the shower-head is used to heat just the water the
bather wants at the time of the shower. I'll surely appreciate
being able to get a hot shower right away! My shower water is
heated mostly the traditional way: water heated on the stove
and mixed with cold in a large bucket in the shower. And just
last week I began to hear of the electric rice-cookers finally
starting to be distributed here in Havana. They've been distributed
in Eastern Cuba previously and some of them have found their
way west to Habaneros and others, sent by families and friends
in the East as gifts to friends in the west.) =======================================================================

Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

Prensa Latina, Havana http://www.plenglish.com

Cuba Considers New Modes of Energy Production

Havana, Nov 24 (PL) Cuba will increase oil production and generate
more electricity using the accompanying gas and other variants
such as wind energy, President Fidel Castro said.

The statesman spoke at the Round Table Discussion broadcast on
Wednesday night on Cuban radio and television to explain new
increases in electricity prices and increased wages, pensions
and social security.

He pointed out that a revolutionary program to save fuel and
increase power generation is underway using more efficient and
cheaper technologies and formulas.

In order to achieve that goal, drilling machines, massive amounts
of energy-saving saving bulbs, low-consumption electrical appliances
and power generators have been imported to upgrade Cuba's power
system and eliminate blackouts.

"There will be not a single gasoline truck left after they are
replaced by diesel, which is much cheaper," stressed the Cuban
president when listing a series of measures being taken, including
tightening control to avoid illegal sales at gas stations.

That task is being undertaken by thousands of social workers
who have run gas stations in the provinces of Pinar del Rio and
the City of Havana over the past few weeks, a measure that will
spread to the rest of the country.

Those centers now collect much more money than before, said Fidel
Castro, adding that clandestine sales of tens of millions of
dollars were even discovered.

He added that some 300 million dollars have been invested in
the saving strategy to import, at half the cost, refrigerators,
electrical rice cookers, fans and other electrical appliances
that have a lower power consumption compared to those used in
most Cuban homes.

Fidel Castro noted that on the short and medium term, the country
will be able to invest in development up to 70 percent of what
it spends today on power generation and oil consumption.

/jg/mh/mf