fyi, one way to rid one's self of this brutal US administration

"W. Curtiss Priest" <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:32:45 -0500

Subject: [Solari] Vermont Passes Resolution to Secede from the US
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:21:06 -0800 From: Solari Action Network
<[log in to unmask]> To: Solari Action Network <[log in to unmask]>
The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of "Solari
Action Network".

TO THE SOLARI ACTION NETWORK
November 10, 2005
FROM THE ARTIC BEACON
Vermont Passes Resolution
To Secede From The US
By Greg Szymanski
11-3-5
The members of a peaceful freedom-fighting group want no part of neo-
cons running the imperialistic U.S. government. Plan to secede from
the U.S. gaining momentum in the fiercely independent Green Mountain
state.
The neo-con band of criminals running Washington, trampling on civil
rights at home and invading countries at will overseas, has led a
large group of strong-minded Vermont freedom-fighters with no choice
but to secede from the United States.
And last Friday at the state capital building in Montpelier, a
historic independence convention was held, the first of its kind in
the United States since May 20, 1861, when North Carolina decided to
leave the Union.
A packed House Chamber in the Vermont statehouse, with more than 400
gathered, started the daylong secession convention with a speech by
keynote James Howard Kunstler, author of The Long Emergency, and
ended with a resolution passed to secede from the United States.
Most people think of secession as impossible if not treasonous, but
the concept is deeply rooted in the Declaration of Independence,
reminding us that "Whenever any form of government becomes
destructive, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it and
to institute new government."
And with the neo-con takeover of Washington, including all its
branches of government that transforming America into a one-party
dictatorship, that's exactly what the resolution passed in Vermont
seeks to do by members of grassroots movement growing in numbers
daily.
Although the resolution is the first step in the long process that
needs support from the state legislators - as well as an officially
recognized convention - the grass roots group called the Second
Vermont Republic passed the following citizen's resolution:
"Be it resolved that the state of Vermont peacefully and
democratically free itself from the United States of America and
return to its natural status as an independent republic as it was
between January 15, 1777 and March 4, 1791."
Even though critics give the secession group a snowball's chance in
hell,, organizers are firmly convinced in the present-day tyrannical
political climate secession will not only succeed but will prosper.
This could only happen in Vermont where people are still fiercely
independent and fed up with the course the American government is
taking," said Thomas Naylor, the head of the group calling itself the
Second Republic of Vermont. "We have a lot going for us and if you
think about it, we have a lot in common with Poland's Solidarity
movement, who many said would never succeed.
"But Poland did get its freedom, mainly because it was a country
liked around the world, sort of like how people in America feel about
Vermont. When people think of Vermont, they have a warm and fuzzy
feeling, an image of black and white Holstein cows and beautiful
scenery. I can also tell you there is now closet support in the
legislature now and we are serious about getting the support needed
to secede from the United States.,
Naylor, a former Duke University economics professor, said from his
Vermont home this week that statewide independence is really a
euphemism for secession, adding Vermont also will seek to join the
group of Unrepresented Nations similar to the Lakota Indians and
other international indigenous people.
"Secession is one of the most politically charged words in America,
thanks to Abraham Lincoln," said Naylor, adding he had been writing
about secession for the better part of 10 years but the movement
picked up tremendous steam after 9/11. "Secession really combines a
radical act of rebellion grounded in fear and anger with a positive
vision for the future.
"It represents an act of faith that the new will be better than the
old. The decision to secede necessarily involves a very personal,
painful four-step decision process. It first involves denunciation
that the United States has lost its moral authority and is
unsustainable, ungovernable and unfixable. Second, there is
disengagement or admitting I don,t want to go down with the Titanic.
Third, there is demystification that secession really is a viable
option constitutionally, politically and economically. And finally,
defiance, saying I personally want to help take Vermont back from big
business, big markets and big government and I want to do so
peacefully.,"
What started out as Naylor's little fantasy to have an independent
country made up of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, has already
grown from a small group of 36 several years ago to a packed House
Chamber in the state's capital. Claiming to have a membership of 160
as of last April, Naylor said the numbers have doubled or even
tripled.
"I,m getting calls from all over the country supporting our
movement," said Naylor. "Although there are more than 20 states with
some kind of secession movement, Alaska and Hawaii being the best
examples, I think Vermont really has the best chance at succeeding at
seceding."
Besides holding the Vermont independence convention in Montpelier,
the smallest state capital city in the United States, it also has the
reputation as being the most fiercely independent and anti- big
business, being the only one not allowing a McDonald's in the entire
country.
"First and foremost, we want out of the United States. It's not just
an anti-Bush statement and if Kerry was elected, we still would have
wanted out," said Naylor. "The reality is that we have a one party
system in this country, called the Republican party, that is owned
and operated and controlled by corporate America. So it's not just a
Bush protest, but a protest against the Empire.
Although many critics have said the mighty U.S. would not stand for
Vermont's secession, Naylor as will as others disagree, including Jim
Hogue, a talk show host on Vermont Public radio.
"There's nothing they would want here. There's no oil, just
mountains. We,re just not important enough. We,re funny, we,re small
and we,re peaceful," said Hogue several months ago in an article in
the Montreal Gazette.
With most Vermont politicians, including the Congressional
delegation, ignoring the grassroots secession movement or just
laughing it off as good theatre, Vermont's Lt. Gov., Brian Dubie, has
weighed in on the issue, giving it a certain amount of merit but
stopping short of outright support.
"I really salute their energy and passion," he said in a local press
interview. "we have an obligation to think of what is in our best
interest as a state and for the people of out state, even as we
approach federal and national issues."
Besides Naylor and Kuntsler, others who spoke at the Oct. 28
independence convention included Professor Frank Bryan of the
University of Vermont; Kirkpatrick Sale, author of Human Scale; J.
Kevin Graffagnino, executive director of theVermont Historical
Society; Professor Eric Davis, Middlebury College; Shay Totten,
editor of the Vermont Guardian; and Dr. Rob Williams of Champlain
College.
http://www.arcticbeacon.com/articles/article/1518131/36584.htm

--

	   W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
   Research Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies, MIT