]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BLOGGING Home

BLOGGING  December 2005

BLOGGING December 2005

Kindergartners blog about bedtime stories

Steve Cavrak <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Dec 2005 07:42:34 -0500

Kindergartners blog about bedtime stories

Greece youngsters talk about their favorite books on a class Web site
Victoria E. Freile
Staff writer
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/
20051225/NEWS01/512250347/1002/NEWS

(December 25, 2005)  GREECE  A group of kindergartners at Pine
Brook Elementary School have started a class blog to share and
discuss bedtime stories.

Each evening, some of Helen Unterborn's 24 students write about books
they have read and explain why they are recommending the stories to
their classmates.

The project is designed to help students think critically about
stories that they have read and to share their opinions with their
classmates.

"I also want them to see computers as a tool for communication,"
Unterborn said. "Here's a meaningful, fun way for them to respond to
literature."

Michael Lambrecht, 5, wrote about Roald Dahl's novel James and the
Giant Peach.

"I picked that book because I read it with my dad and it's my
favorite book," Michael said.

He said he loved using the blog to discuss the book, because he
wanted to tell his classmates about the story and to encourage them
to read it, too.

While on the Web site, Michael said he enjoyed looking at what his
classmates had written and seeing what books they are reading.

"I plan to go back to get more ideas of books to read," he said.

Unterborn launched the blog (http://pinebrookkinderblog.blogspot.com)
in October but said her students have started posting regularly in
recent weeks. Students typically post, with the help of a parent, or
the students write joint entries in class, she said.

Emily Benham, 5, now heads straight for the computer when she
finishes a book, said her mother, Carolyn.

"It's so great to see how excited Emily gets," she said. "What a
great way to promote literacy through technology."

Emily said she enjoyed sharing her thoughts with her classmates.

Plus, Emily and her mother figure out how to post images such as book
covers.

"That way people can find it easily," Emily said.

The project also is a way to connect families with the school
community, Unterborn said.

Twins David and Melissa Safford, both 5, have written about four
different stories this month.

"We just share what we read," said Melissa. "We try to get people to
read these stories because they are so interesting. And I think it
works."

VFREILE@Democrata