SKIVT-L December 2005, Week 5

Bolton Valley, VT 24DEC05 (Pics)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:07:01 -0700

On Saturday we took Ty up to Bolton Valley for a few afternoon ski runs.  I
hadnít initially thought of taking him up to Bolton, but Grandma mentioned
it and it sounded like a good idea.  With holiday visitors at the house, and
another family gathering later that evening, time was a little tight.  So,
Bolton was especially appropriate being only about 30 minutes away.  E
hadnít been out to ski with Ty in the past couple of weeks, so this would be
an opportunity for her to ski with him using the leash, and see the progress
heíd made first hand.

The weather had been warming since the previous day, and had risen above
freezing in the valley.  When we left my parentís house in Shelburne
(elevation ~180í), the car thermometer was reading 39 degrees F.  At the
bottom of the Bolton Valley access road (elevation ~400í) it was at 37 F,
and by the time we reached Boltonís main base (elevation ~2,100í) it was
down to 34 F.  There was a notable difference in the look of the snow on the
mountain when compared to the valley.  Down in the valley, the snow was
getting spring-like, and had melted off the trees.  Up on the mountain, even
at the base area, there was a coating of white on the trees, and the snow
still looked pretty dry and wintry.  Bolton was reporting 2 inches of new
snow, which we hoped would make for some pleasant skiing.

Once we passed through the lodge area and I could see the slopes, I was
immediately struck by how different things looked since the last time Iíd
been there.  The most notable difference was the new Vista Quad chair
heading up the mountain from just above the lodge.  The changes theyíd made
to the slopes, combined with the look of the lift and the additional cutting
involved in the lift line, made it feel like a much bigger place.  I
couldnít believe that the Timberline area wasnít open when we drove past it
on the access road.  The Timberline quad wasnít running and there were no
signs of life, but man did the trails look fantastic with a little fresh
snow and no tracks.  I thought they would have tried to fire up everything
they could for the holidays, but since it was still pre-Christmas, maybe
they were waiting.

We hopped on the new quad, which allowed Mom, Dad, and Ty to ride on a
chairlift all together for the first time ever.  I initially thought the new
quad was a detachable unit, but after boarding and riding, it seemed to be a
low-speed model.  The ride was a lot of fun, and Ty enjoyed the chairís
safety bar, which Lost Trail doesnít have on any of its lifts.  I liked
checking out the trail changes that had been made since the installation of
the new lift.  Iím not sure if they plan to make the lift line itself a real
trail, but it looks as though it will provide some fun terrain.  The natural
snow cover was still a bit too thin for skiing the lift line, since they
have left a lot of the rocks, trees and stumps from the clearing process.
There were actually a number of tracks in the powder on the lift line, but
youíd really want to be using your rock skis.  Turning around and looking
behind me as we rode the lift, I could look out and see the expanse of the
valley.  Iíd forgotten just how huge and scenic that valley actually was.
Itís certainly going on my list of potential backcountry exploration sites.
Further up the lift line, I could see that they had removed the old summit
double, since the new quad goes at least as high as that one.  However, the
lower double (Mid-Mountain Lift) is still there and was running, probably to
provide easy access to the lower mountain beginner terrain.

At the top of the quad, I had to take a look at the big billboard map.
Although Iíve skied at Bolton Valley dozens of times, the trips are
generally scattered so I donít know the trails by heart.  And when it comes
to skiing with Ty, I like to start with the greenest of the green trails,
because on anything else he canít do much in terms of slowing himself down.
So, we took Shermanís Pass, which is a classic night skiing trail that I
definitely knew.  The layout feels a little different now, since there is a
lodge near the top that I hadnít seen before.  The snow was generally nice
packed powder, softened by the couple inches of fresh snow, but there were a
few slick spots where man-made snow was present.  There were also a couple
of spots where cover was thin and gravel had come through.  Like the lift
line under the new quad, the woods needed a bit more coverage, but you could
certainly hop in with your rock skis and get some fluffy turns.

Ty did well, and E really started to enjoy herself after she figured out how
the leash worked for Ty.  At first, she couldnít figure the leash out,
because she would try to lead him into turning one way, and it wouldnít
work.  It turned out that he was doing so much of the turning himself, that
she had to just go with what he wanted.  My favorite part of the day was
seeing the big smile on Eís face as she guided Ty around and watched him
pick his turns.  After being sick with a stomach virus the previous day, it
was the most smiling sheíd done in a while.  We finished off the afternoon
with a couple of runs from the Snowflake Lift.  We tried to get Ty to follow
me as I made lots of turns in a wedge, and although he did follow me at
times, he typically went wherever he wanted.  At least, with both Mom and
Dad skiing, he had the opportunity to follow behind someone and watch their
actions when he could.

By the end of the day, I could feel that the snow on the lower mountain was
a bit wet compared to that of the upper mountain, but the difference was
still rather subtle.  The temperatures are cold again now, and the upcoming
forecast once again looks snowy, so hopefully the trails will gradually be
resurfaced.

Some pictures from the day can be found at:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2005/24DEC05.html

J.Spin