VTBIRD Archives

January 2006

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mundi Smithers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:29:22 -0500
Down here in Pownal we seem to have a plethora of turkeys and they are
quite brazen.  This morning I counted 30+ in the pasture next to the
house.  We also have Red-bellied Woodpeckers at the feeder and the suet
.... this is a first for me !!  What I am missing this year are Hairy
Woodpeckers?   Seems odd that they are not in evidence.  Another
observation that I have made since we moved to Pownal a couple of years
ago.... I never hear owls.  I have seen a couple of Barred owls perched
in trees beside the dirt road that runs behind our farm but I haven't
hear them call.  When I do a late night barn check I often stop for a
few minutes just to see if I might hear one calling.  Nothing so far.
A flock of Redpolls arrived last week and they are making quite a dent
in the sunflower seeds.

All the news for now,
Mundi  in Pownal