VTBIRD Archives

January 2006

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"BUTLER, Bridget" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:53:38 -0500
Greetings Everyone!

I've seen the inquires about different types of trees/shrubs for attracting birds and wanted to pass on some info:

Here's a website from Cornell - look at the "Seven Important Plant Groups for Birds". It's the best break-down of how to landscape in order to provide year-round appeal. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/AttractingBirds/Landscaping/

Great books I've found that have especially helped me in my quest for native plants for birds:

Trees, Shrubs and Vines for Attracting Birds by Richard M. DeGraaf. 2002
The Bird Garden by Stephen Kress ( he spoke at the VT/NH Birder's Conference and has a few really good books on birdfeeding also! )

*Audubon Vermont provides a great presentation for groups on landscaping and gardening for birds called "Birdscaping" - a walk can also be incorporated depending on the site!*

And my TO PLANT list for 2006 will include the following:
SHRUBS
Corylus americana - American Hazelnut
Cornus alternifolia - Alternate-Leaf Dogwood
Sambucus canadensis - American Elder/Elderberry
Sambucus pubens - Red Elder
Vaccinium corymbosum - Highbush Blueberry
Viburnum dentatum - Arrowwood Viburnum
Viburnum trilobum - American Cranberrybush Viburnum

TREES
Crabapple - I'll be looking for species that will have small, winter persistent fruit! Any suggestions????
Amelanchier canadensis - Shadblow Serviceberry
Sorbus americana - American Mountain Ash

VINES
Parthenocissus quinquefolia - Virginia Creeper
Vitis spp. - Grapes!

This is one of my passions and I've got loads of information. Please feel free to contact me if you want to know of more resources...etc.

Enjoy!
Bridget

Bridget Butler
Conservation Education Coordinator