SKIVT-L February 2006, Week 3

Re: Skiing with Tots (non-vt)

Tag Gross <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:02:24 -0500

> I told him
that the edge of the ski will slow him and turn him if he put pressure on
it. He totally understood that and made it work immediately with a nice
wide snowplow stance.<

Apparently the road to perpetual intermediate skiing starts early.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Sharon Lives
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Skiing with Tots (non-vt)

After a frigid weekend with little snow that had preceded with very warm
winds and rain, there was no question the ski areas would be more like
skating rinks. I gave Greek Peak 3 days to make snow and ventured out on a
sunny yet brisk monday morning.

When I arrived at 10am at the Chair 5 parking lot, I was just the 6th car
in a nearly empty lot. I put on my telemark boots. I could only find one
knee pad. I like wearing knee pads 'just in case'. My knees are too
important to risk. With free heels, the chance for beating up the knees is
great with just one fall. I put that one knee pad on anyway. I went to get
my skis out of the back of the truck. There were 2 pairs of alpine skis
and just one lonely telemark ski. Bubba tranfered the skis out of the
rocket box on the Subaru to his truck when we dropped my car off at the
mechanic that morning. Unfortunately, he only put one telemark ski in the
back. I was furious.

So I took off my knee pad and my telemark boots. Luckily I had brought my
alpine boots with me. I slipped them on and grabbed my Volkls and headed
out on the hill. At least I had the means to ski and didn't need to drive
back to get the other ski.

The snow was crisp and firm, still mostly corduroy. The skiing was
surprisingly quite good. They had made snow overnight and you could tell
where the new snow landed. Where it didn't land, you might find ice and
death cookies, but at least there was something to sink edges in at
various places on the hill.

The blazing sun was deceptive as it was still very cold. After 4 runs I
wasn't warming up, so I went back to the truck to get another layer. I
called my friend who lives near me and was heading to Greek Peak in the
afternoon. He was kind enough to retrieve my ski from my Subaru, as the
auto shop is only a mile from his house. He was bringing his 3 yr old for
his first day of skiing. Another friend was to arrive around 1pm with her
5 yr old for his 2nd day of skiing. So after a few runs to myself, I went
down to the Magic Carpet to meet my friends and their kids.

First thing I did was send Katie, Alex's mother, off to ski while I took
him on the Magic Carpet. Alex really got into it and begged me to take him
on the chair lift. I told him he had to be able to snowplow and turn
before going up there, so he quickly figured it out with some basic
instruction using Pizza slice to slow down and French Fry to go fast. He
prefers french fries over pizza, but he had to have pizza too. I told him
that the edge of the ski will slow him and turn him if he put pressure on
it. He totally understood that and made it work immediately with a nice
wide snowplow stance. In 3 runs he was ready for the lift, which was quite
a thrill for him. Katie caught up to us as we were riding the lift for the
3rd time. She yelled up to us "don't let him fall off" like any worried
mother. Alex was just fine and enjoying the ride. He couldn't wait to get
on the snow and show his mother what he could do. He loved going fast and
we could hardly keep up with him. It is really great that kids under 6 can
ski for free. I'm sure by the time it will cost $ for him to ski, he'll be
hooked. I just hope his parents don't hold him back. They are not real big
skiers and don't want to have to pay a lot of $ for skiing. Greek Peak is
affordable, but even at $23 for night skiing, $41 for day skiing, it can
add up for a one income family. At least she got him skis and boots at the
ski swap. They are Ninja Turtle skis. Green and cute with little Salomon
rear entry boots. He can go for free for 2 or 3 more seasons.

When Tom arrived with his 3 yr old Ian, the kid was not too excited about
the prospect of skiing until Tom called the ski area a "snow playground".
As soon as the kid heard "playground", he decided to check it out.
Luckily, the childrens center had large colorful soft building blocks
outside as well as Snowflake the Snowsnake. All this was right next to the
Magic Carpet. Ian was intrigued. When he saw his friend Alex skiing down
the hill he said he wanted to try it. So Tom took him in to rent
skis/boots (just $8 for tykes). We all made it fun for Ian, and he really
got a rush from skiing down the small hill. He decided he no longer wanted
to ride the Magic Carpet and wanted to play with the blocks. I let Tom go
for a run while I followed Ian all around. He refused to ski again. He
wanted to see the snowmobile, something he had never seen before, so I
followed him over to one that was parked nearby. When Tom returned, Alex
and Katie came over to see how Ian was doing. Alex asked Ian if he wanted
to try skiing again, and Ian obliged. It was great that the kid encouraged
the toddler, as the 3 yr old would not do anything his father wanted him
to do. Forget about "terrible 2's", three is worse from what I can tell
and what the parents say. They really are developing their own minds, and
this brat has become a real control freak. I helped Ian get his skis back
on and his father took him back on the Magic Carpet. Tom was trying to
teach his kid to snowplow. I suggested he just let him slide while Tom
guides him, as he may not yet have the motorskills to make a wedge and
understand what a snowplow is other than a big truck on the road. If you
say Pizza Slice, the kid just wants to eat pizza. 3 is a tough age. Tom
didn't like my suggestions so I took off and let him be frustrated on his
own.

After another run with Alex and Katie, I took 2 runs on my own and headed
back to the car. The trails were now getting pretty icy, as it was 4pm. It
never got very busy. None of the lifts had lines more than 5-6 people.
There were a lot of kids, but it surely could have been a lot more with
the holiday. Greek Peak did a great job of keeping the learning areas
snowy.

You can see in these pix how nice the snow was and the tots enjoying the
day.
http://home.twcny.rr.com/goldbarron/Ian%20Skian.html