SKIVT-L February 2006, Week 3

Re: Etude

Kevin Broderick <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:12:49 -0500

On 17 Feb 2006, at 7:59 PM, Leigh Daboll wrote:

> You correct about WB and metering- there is essentially no
> correlation between white balance setting and metering levels.
> However, Roger is not quite as correct about assuming identical
> metering between JPG and RAW formats.  The metering itself may not
> show as being different but the *finished results* at the same
> speed/aperture/shutter combo may look very different between the
> formats.  There's no substitute for real life familiarity and
> practice because the result varies between makes and even within
> makes of camera depending upon the ferocity of the internal JPG
> processor being used in that particular model.

I think I was the one bringing up metering in RAW vs JPG, and my
point was simply what you identified--"the metering itself may [does]
not show as different".  I always shoot RAW and recognize that there
are a number of advantages to both myself and storage manufacturers
in doing so.

> Roger's (or Ben's?) comments about stopping down to avoid blown
> highlights are also interesting. There is a good article here:
> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/fixing-dynamic-range.htm about the
> inherent dynamic range advantage of film versus digital in
> capturing highlights before they blow out.  In the digital race to
> eliminate photo noise, the manaufacturers have deliberately skewed
> the histographic/dynamic  range of most digital cameras.
>
> I take it you can much more easily lighten dark areas and still
> preserve detail (with the only penalty being a noise increase.)
> Once you blow out the hightlights, the detail is gone forever no
> matter how much you later darken the image.  This happens way, way
> before level 255 on the histogram, and is a particularly tricky
> problem in snow scenes using one or two stops overexposure.

Actually, it doesn't happen before level 255 on the histogram--it
happens *at* it.  Most camera nerd sites have frequent suggestions to
"expose to the right", i.e. try to shift the histogram as far right
as possible *without blowing the highlights*.  I think the reason is
alluded to within the article--the farther right on the histogram the
image is, the less noise when you eventually print it.  On a related
note, there's generally more latitude when "developing" RAW in one
direction than the other--an image pushed +1 will usually look OK and
+1.5 tends to show significant noise (using Adobe Camera Raw with
exposures from a 20D; YMMV), while taking an image to -2 usually
doesn't cause noticeable degradation (unless it was exposed properly
to begin with, in which case it will look underexposed).  The problem
noted by Rockwell in the article linked above applies *only* outside
of the histogram, i.e. when things are clipped.  As he notes in the
article, the problem is that "highlights on digital head towards
white (255) and simply clip as soon as they get there. Digital has no
shoulder and there is no gradual overload."  As long as you stay
within the histogram (i.e. you don't clip the image), exposing to the
right is preferable.  (see, for example, <http://luminous-
landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml>)

Now, there are a lot of caveats involved.  The camera histogram is
generated from in-camera RAW-to-JPG conversion, even when shooting
straight RAW, so it uses in-camera parameters that may or may not
match what you use when doing the "real" RAW conversion.  On my 20D,
for example, I can set "sharpness" and "contrast" parameters in the
camera that will affect the histogram and chimping display but not
the actual RAW image as written to the flash card; for the histogram
to match the data actually recorded to the RAW file, I need to have
contrast at -2.  And, of course, the other problem cited in the
article--channels clip independently of each other and clipping can
thus create a color cast--is significant.

Another major caveat: the bit depth of RAW provides a bigger working
space than output formats usually will.  For example, my monitor
doesn't display the full gamut of ProPhoto RGB, the colorspace the
most closely matches the capture abilities of my 20D.  An image might
not clip on a histogram relative to ProPhotoRGB yet does clip on my
monitor (or comes close enough that my eyes can't tell the difference).

> I like to shoot winter scenes pretty much at +/- 0 and lighten
> later if necessary rather than blow out the highlights.

I've found that the most effective way to think about meter
adjustments when shooting in snow is to consider how bright things
look to my eyes; if it's an overcast scene that's approaching medium
gray (to my eyes), I'll stick around +/- 0 and *maybe* go to +1/3.
If it's moderately overcast, +2/3 or +1.  A bluebird day might call
for +1 1/3 or more, but I haven't seen enough of those to be quite
sure.  Since I sometimes shoot a lot of images in the same day, I
really prefer to get the exposure right in the camera (and if not
right in the camera, wrong by the same small amount on a whole batch
of images)--doing individual exposure adjustments on a couple hundred
images gets rather time consuming, particularly on an 800Mhz Powerbook.

Another aspect of winter scenes that I've noted: a lot of images I've
captured don't fill the dynamic range available on the histogram
because there simply isn't enough contrast in the scene.  This is
most often the case when shooting on an overcast day with even light;
something like <http://www.kevinbroderick.com/gallery/d/2936-2/
IMG_0312.jpg> is short on detail in the snow, but dropping the
exposure at all looses shadow detail in the subject.  I think the
only solution to this particular problem is not shooting in crummy
light, but I'd be more than happy to hear alternate suggestions.

> YMMV

And, of course, it will.  My comments are based on my experience
using a Canon EOS 20D and the reading I've done in trying to learn to
use it better; they may apply differently, if at all, to other makes
(and particularly other types, i.e. point-and-shoot) of camera.

Kevin T. Broderick