POLICYPROJECT March 2006

Re: financial info

Policy Project <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:30:59 -0800

I've been out all day, sorry its taken me so long to reply.  No, we didn't discuss this aspect with Joan.  My understanding is that there are some who do it for the money, though I haven't met too many like that.  Most of the providers I know are people who want to adopt.  The providers that I know that are not in it for the adoption aspect seem to have their hearts in the right place.  Mostly I think that a myth has grown up around the idea that the financial compensation is a lure for greedy people who don't really care about children.  It is interesting to note, however, that while we provide many services to birth parents in the form of counseling, parent ed, etc, we do not offer them the same financial assistance we provide foster care providers.  I wonder what the outcomes would look like if we did?