Lake Champlain Waterfowl--Rarities!

Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:27:42 -0500

Ted Murin and I spent the day birding, starting in South Hero and working our way down to Dead Creek. There are a lot of waterfowl around and we encountered a total of 19 species, not including the two geese species. The highlights include Tufted Duck (lifer!), Redhead, Barrow's Goldeneye, Harlequin Duck, and an impressive showing of Pintail and Green-winged Teal at Dead Creek.

The Tufted Ducks (South Hero Causeway) were hanging out together on the edge of the scaup flock. They seemed to prefer being closer to the causeway near the ice edge. I did get some identifiable photos of the pair, which can be viewed here:

http://www.care2.com/c2c/photos/view/175/570145374/Tufted_Duck/

The Harlequin (Charlotte Town Beach) was in a flock of Common Goldeneye and could be identified by the white markings on the head and the strip of white coming up the "shoulders".

Despite the forecast, it was a great day to be out birding! The lake was calm and the sun helped accentuate the waterfowl colors at Dead Creek late in the day.

Happy birding,
-Julie

South Hero side of the Causeway:
2 TUFTED DUCK (1 pair)
6 REDHEAD (3 pairs)
5 BARROW'S GOLDENEYE (1 male, 4 female)
1700 Scaup spp. (both Lesser and Greater)
200 Common Goldeneye
10 Hooded Merganser (making a frog-like courtship call)
15 Common Merganser
20 Ring-necked Duck
2 Wood Duck
10 Mallard
6 Am Black Duck
2 Northern Pintail
20 Canada Goose

Shelburne Town Beach (Meach Cove):
2 Am Wigeon
1 Horned Grebe
124 Canada Goose
6 Bufflehead
7 Mallard
2 Ring-necked Duck
30 Common Goldeneye
5 Common Merganser

Charlotte Town Beach:
1 HARLEQUIN DUCK (first year male)
100 Common Goldeneye
34 Bufflehead
7 Horned Grebe
1 Red-breasted Merganser
5 Common Merganser

Converse Bay:
7 Gadwall
6 Am Wigeon
1 Scaup spp
5 Mallard
3 Am Black Duck
15 Canada Goose
1 Hooded Merganser

Button Bay (poor lighting conditions in the afternoon):
Ring-necked Duck
Common Goldeneye
Northern Pintail
Mallard
Am Black Duck
Canada Goose
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
1 Bald Eagle, immature

Dead Creek:
1 Rough-legged Hawk
1 Northern Harrier
175 Northern Pintail
70-80 Green-winged Teal
5 Gadwall
12 Am Wigeon
150 Mallard
8 Am Black Duck
100+ Canada Goose
40 Snow Goose
12 Wood Duck
40 Ring-billed Gulls
1 Am Tree Sparrow
2 Muskrat

Other incidentals throughout the day:
~10 Red-tailed Hawks
Bald Eagle (total of 2 for the day)
Northern Harrier (2 for the day)
1 Turkey Vulture
8 Wild Turkey

More than 300,000 seals could be killed in Canada this year - most of
them babies. Tell Canada's Prime Minister to stop the hunt now!
http://go.care2.com/stophunt

http://www.Care2.com  Free e-mail. 100MB storage.  Helps nonprofits.