Why Not!

Roy Pilcher <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:13:11 EST

It was 10 o'clock, the sky was clearing, the temperature rising, sightings
of the Harlequin Duck were still reverberating and so my wife and I decided to
head for Charlotte Beach.  An hour later we were there and what a beautiful
site, the blue of the sky reflecting off the water, white mini icebergs
drifting  slowly by, the gentlest of breezes blowing and no shimmer.
A single birdwatcher was scanning the lake.  On introducing myself,  Mike (I
trust I recall his name correctly), indicated that earlier there had  been
quite a raft of ducks but they had made their way around the point to the  South
and now the waters were almost deserted. To our surprise and joy, ten  minutes
later a large flock of ducks appeared from the South and in a  long ribbon
began to touch down.  We both began to scan in earnest,  Mike was the first
with, "I have the harlequin."  I checked through his  scope and sure enough there
it was, a little fuzzy, but at least a look.  A  couple of minutes later he
had it again, this time the view and field marks were  convincing.  Shortly
afterwards the harlequin took off to the  North, (showing no white in the wings),
and we did not observe it  again.  During my scan, comprising mainly of
goldeneye and bufflehead,  I spotted a Ruddy Duck, which for Mike was a first state
sighting.  Mike  did point out that both bufflehead and goldeneye do cock
their tails but the  compactness of this bird and the spikiness and uprightness of
the tail,  said Ruddy Duck to me.  (I am not sure if Mike was convinced!)
Mike had left  Massachusetts at 5: a.m. that morning, achieving a first for
his yard, a  peenting woodcock, before heading for South Hero and the not so
illusive Tufted  Duck, that he observed.  His quest was not complete with the
harlequin, he still needed a Northern Shrike and a Canvasback for his  Vermont
list!
My list:
Common Goldeneye ~130: Bufflehead ~30: Harlequin Duck 1: Ruddy Duck 1:
Common Merganser 1: Mallard 2: Herring Gull 1: Canada Goose ~10, lazing on the
dock to the North.
Cheers,
Roy Pilcher
Proctor, Vermont