IT-DISCUSS March 2006

Re: University expels cheater scan

Thomas McLeod <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:50:40 -0500

Alison and Chris,

Title 17 of the United States Code, section 101, makes the following definition:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000101----000-.html

“Copies” are material objects, other than phonorecords, in which a work is fixed by any method now known or later developed, and from which the work can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. The term “copies” includes the material object, other than a phonorecord, in which the work is first fixed.

It is well-established that loading a work into an electronic database is "to reproduce the work in copies." The section that Alison quoted, 106, provides that the copyright owner has the "exclusive right" to "reproduce the work in copies" subject to the limited exceptions of fair use.

I'd say that putting student work in the anti-plagiarism system is making it publicly available. But that doesn't matter, because a violation occurs even if the copy is not publicly available.

And I also disagree that this company is giving students credit for their work. They're doing the opposition. They're taking students' work and creating a proprietary database, which they then claim to own, and from which they are deriving revenue.

Under current international convention, it is not necessary to "register" a work to receive copyright protection. Unless the author explicitly puts the work in the public domain, the protection is automatic. However, most students don't know this or care much about it. This company is taking advantage of their ignorance.

The draft UVM IP policy affirms the fact that students retain copyright on everything they produce, even if it's required course work. This is typical. As a student, I think it would be rather awkward for UVM to charge over $100k for an undergraduate education and then tell students UVM or some third party owns what they produce.

Thomas