SKIVT-L March 2006, Week 1

Camels Hump March 5th, 2006

Todd Holden <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Mar 2006 11:57:03 -0500

Camel’s Hump – 3/5/2006

The sky to the west was crystal clear.  There were a few small clouds to the
north and east.  Superb views.  The highest points in three states are easy
to see from there.  Let’s see.  How many ski areas in that view?  MRG,
Sugarbush, Killington, Whiteface, Bolton, Stowe and Smuggs are easy to see.
The very strong sun had produced a thin haze making Jay, Burke, and Mt.
Washington hard to see, though you could see them.  Ascutney was visible,
but not really the ski trails.

The view of Mansfield, with Bolton, Bone, Woodward, and the Little River
State Forest area in the foreground, is really beautiful.  That scene looks
amazing in winter.  The eye works harder than usual.  The mix of hardwoods,
softwoods and cliffs, all rising up dramatically from the Winooski, merges
into the familiar ridges and peaks, which continue back into the distance
and then draw upward to terminate at Mansfield.  The river cutting thru the
mtns there creates what has to be one-of-a-kind in Vt.  What struck me is
the feeling of looking straight from one of the highest points in Vt, across
the deep valley, to another.  The two mountains seem closer together than
they should.  On a map, we see all sorts of mountains, hills, and ridges
between the two – Bamforth Ridge, Robbins Mtn, Bone, Bolton, Dewey...it’s a
long distance, over 15 miles as the crow flies.  But they tower so much that
the other hills fade in the impression.  With the river, which you look
essentially straight down at, lying nearly 4000 feet below, well, it’s a lot
to take in.

So, we had skis.  Mark did his best to get to the summit with skis on.  But
it was too rocky and windblown.  On the very top, temperatures around 20
along a good northwest wind made bundling up necessary.   Only a few hundred
feet below in the sheltered clearing, it was practically tropical.   Being
that this new snow fell on a weekend (Scott!), we had plenty of company.
Probably 20+ folks out…a mix of snowshoers, skiers, dogs, people with just
boots…   We heard tell of what sounded to be Plaid.  Burr0ws ascenders
mentioned a B_ _ _ Hill contingent, while elsewhere may have been _ _ _ _
tracks (“three boarders & a skier”?? …someone said).

Descent Plan-A quickly gave way to Plan-B which quickly gave way to Plan-C.
All of  these were good options.  C was most likely from the start.  The
others can be pursued another day when a summit visit has not used up time
and energy.

Tracks that had made for easy ascending were now making for very fast skiing
on a very narrow route.  Stronger skiers might have dealt better, but we
managed well enough with a snowplow and strategic use of the limited powder
available in the narrow corridor.  Steep sections mixed with more manageable
stretches giving a nice variety.  Thigh-deep snow was not uncommon at these
higher elevations.   After a long fast glide below rock and ice, we were
back on Plan-A.

The middle elevations brought a change of environment and mood.  Cold, fast,
crowded, and tight had given way to mild, slow, open, and untracked.
Wanting to get beyond anywhere we’d been before, we… never mind.   ……  After
a bit of surveying, some low angle woods were first up on this 2nd mile of
downhill.  These woods skied nicely for a bit but then flattened too much
for the deep snow.  In looking for better lines, the woods became thick with
immature hardwoods of the inch-or-three in diameter variety.   Traversing
led to a limited number of small open drops.  But rather than open up,
things became even more closed in.   Flirting with drainage issues, we
dropped still lower and found open water.  Snow bridges enabled more
traversing but the combination of small drainages and thick woods made
progress slow.  The map indicated possible-relief (in the form of a
drainage-free hillside) in a few tenths-of-a-mile.  So we continued in
trudge-mode.  I was commenting on how it was good to rule areas out, while
Mark was saying “awfully schwackey.”   In classic darkest before the dawn
style, with no warning, we came upon room to move AND steeper terrain.  Ahh.

This skied great for several hundred vertical.  But it was getting late.  I
noted the red glow on the opposite hillside and contrast that to the shadow
we were in.  And we were getting lower.  The significance of this is that
the bright direct sun had done enough to allow the evening temps to put a
two-inch chalky crust on certain aspects.  The lower elevations meant less
snow and more creek-beds.  Skiing became a challenging mix of negotiating
crusts, creeks, logs and rocks – with nicer sections thrown in.  In other
words, it was awesome……in one sense of the word.  Seriously though, despite
not being perfect, it was very real and demanding and was a great finish to
a varied and satisfying day.   After a fast cruise down a civilized route,
we were back at the car at 5:00.

Thanks Scott, for great forecasting!

I’ll have some photos up later.

Todd Holden