]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  March 2006, Week 1

SKIVT-L March 2006, Week 1

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 27JAN06 (Pics/Vid)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Mar 2006 20:37:33 -0700

Our big annual ski trip kicked off on January 26th with James’ arrival at
the Missoula airport.  With the rather lame ski conditions that Vermont had
experienced for much of January, James hadn’t been out on the slopes since
our December 23rd trip to Sugarbush for their $5.50 day.  James was worried
that his ski skills would be a bit rusty (which I doubt is actually
possible) for our Utah trip, so I offered up the idea of heading to Lost
Trail on Friday morning so he could get his ski legs fired up.  Since Ty had
been sick the previous Sunday, I also wanted to get him out on the slopes on
Friday, and even Saturday if possible to make up for some lost slope time.

It was actually a lot of fun getting ready with Ty and James, and since
James has a toddler of his own (Jackson) at home, he handily took care of
working with both Ty and Dylan in the morning when I was getting ski stuff
together.  The day was progressing pretty well until we were driving up Lost
Trail Pass and I realized that I had forgotten Ty’s leash.  Ty had been
skiing more and more without the leash, but he still wasn’t controlling his
speed through the entirety of a typical run.  It looked like fate was
telling us we’d really have to cut the cord (so to speak), at least for
today if Ty was going to get any skiing in.

Ty was certainly concerned that he was without the leash, but I told him
we’d forgotten it, and he’d just really have to work on his turning and
speed control today.  James joined us for the first run down Meadow
Run/Meadow Trail, so we could all spend some time together.  Ty did fairly
well on the top section of Meadow Run, but had one pretty good crash when he
failed to control his speed.  He had an even bigger crash when he got going
too fast on the flats of Meadow Trail and slammed into the wall of snow that
forms the uphill side of the run.  He was definitely shaken up after that
second crash, and insisted that I help him ski the rest of the run.  He
skied between my legs all the way down to the Bunny Hill, and would NOT let
me take my hands off him.  I was a little worried that his hard falls had
shaken his confidence too much, and he would regress in his skiing, but
fortunately I would find out that wasn’t the case.

As soon as Ty got to the Bunny Hill, he surprised me by wanting to ski by
himself.  Ty doesn’t typically vocalize his thoughts about skiing to me very
much, but he seems to know a lot more about what’s happening than he lets
on.  He knew that we didn’t have the leash, and that he’d had trouble on his
usual run off the chairlift, so it seemed as if he set his mind on working
on his skills on the Bunny Hill.  He ticked off run after run on the Bunny
Hill, with the only need for me being to help him on the rope tow.  Being
totally free of Ty on the slope meant that I had lots of time for getting
pictures and video of him, which I did (see link below).  Eventually, I
convinced him that it would be a good idea to get some food, at which point
he already had nine Bunny Hill runs under his belt.

I called to James on the radio, and he met up with us in the lodge for a
little lunch.  James said he was having a great time out on the hill, and it
didn’t sound like he was feeling any ill effects from his month off the
sticks.  Crowds were pretty light since it was a Friday, so we eventually
grabbed a table near the warmth of the fire.  I wanted to make sure Ty was
warm when we headed back out onto the slopes.  It wasn’t all that cold, but
the day’s weather was interesting.  We’d had snowfall, sunshine, and
sometimes both at once.

After eating, I returned with Ty to the Bunny Hill, and James went back out
on his own for some mountain exploration.  Ty did 13 more runs on the Bunny
Hill for a total of 22.  It was by far the most he’d ever done in a single
day.  Each time Ty would get to the top of the rope tow, he’d just turn
around and rip off another run.  I kept expecting him to call it a day each
time I’d release him at the top of the tow, but he was definitely in a zone.
  James came around for Ty’s last few runs, and helped me convince Ty that
we should get going.  James’ morning half day ticket was complete, and I
wanted to get to work for a few hours in the afternoon and wrap things up
before we headed down to Utah.  Later, as James was recounting his runs on
the mountain, he told me about one run where he was really ripping up North
Face and had many people on the lift hooting and hollering about his turns.
Of course, no sooner was the entire populace of the lift watching him, than
he promptly exploded into a huge yard sale of equipment scattered up and
down the slope.  I’m sure it must have been quite a sight to see, and I
smile every time I think of how it was timed perfectly while everyone was
watching.  And, it happened right under the lift.  Hilarious!

I’ve got several pictures from the day, as well as some raw QuickTime video
of Ty that I took with our digital camera.  The pictures and video are
available at:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2006/27JAN06.html

J.Spin