SKIVT-L March 2006, Week 1

Gore 3/4-5 (non-vt)

Sharon Lives <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:56:15 -0500

Gore Mountain exceeded our expectations this weekend.

With the high winds on friday, and rumors that the lifts would not run on
saturday, we were uncertain there would be any good skiing. I opted for the
telemark gear thinking that we would be cruising the blues on the lower
mountain at least until they were able to run the upper lifts. I need to
practice my telemark technique on the groomers. Seemed like a good opportunity.

We got on the Adk Express and froze our sessa off as we disembarked at the
Saddle. We scooted over to the High Peaks double and soon we were at the top
of Lies. Lies was all bumped up...not the way I wanna start the day on pins.
Well, I made it down, but it wasn't pretty.

The Straightbrook quad was running so we went up to check out Hawkeye that
had the guns running. The freshly made soft snow was piling up and kept me
warm as I dropped a knee with each turn. Chatiemac was groomed and firm, but
offered easier turns for a fledgling telemarker like myself. I was hardly
able to keep up with the boys running at an alpine pace. The snow guns were
also on Rumor, but there was no way I was going to attempt that pitch on
tele-gear, so I went down and swapped out for locked heel reliability for
steep bumps, glade skiing and big grins. The trip across the saddle was the
most challenging, as it was a full-on skating rink. Pretty scarey, as there
was not much to grab and edge with, so I just skittered along until I hit
actual snow at the top of Wild Air. I made a few dozen nice carved telemark
turns on the freshly groomed snow under the gondola.

After a quick break I returned armed with the gear to make my day the most
fun with the least effort.

The gondola was loading, so I hopped on and headed right back up to the
Summit. I did a few laps on Rumor which was totally sweet with fresh manmade
snow. Then off to explore the glades. Straightbrook was skied out and
required keen eyes and quick turns to evade lurking rocks and sticks.
Chatiemac glade surprised with fresh snow for almost a half dozen turns. I
am sure there was more fresh snow had I ventured further out, but there was
more mountain to explore.

Over to the Dark Side to try out the new Darby Glade. This was the glade
formerly known as KHS. There are only a couple of lines in this narrow
glade, but the cover was good for a short n sweet run. They had just opened
the Dark Side glad which is the steep and gnarly run under the High Peaks
lift, but it was showing a lot of rock and the people skiing it didn't look
like they were having all that much fun or clean lines. There were many
opportunities for core shots on that trail, and the same for Lower
Stielhang. I found plenty of other stuff to keep me entertained.

At lunch at the Saddle Lodge I ran into Skivtlers Jim and Shirley Dugan.
They had enough of Iceface and chose to ski at the other mountain their
passes allow. They seemed to be enjoying the day. My friends from Lake
Placid were supposed to meet us at Gore as well, but opted to check out
Whiteface as they had recieved 5" of new snow friday night. They said there
was no wind in the morning, but by the time they got to the mountain none of
the lifts were running so they went on a backcountry ski from the Adk Loj.
They said there was not much base and they would hit rock any time they
skied anything with pitch. They shoulda stuck with the plan and met us at
Gore if they wanted more enjoyable turns.

Some of the people in our group had enough of the wind and wanted to get off
the lifts and into the backcountry for the afternoon. We took the dogs out
to Vly Pond via Barton Mines Rd. The skiing was pretty good, but the
snowpack was not what it should be for this time of year.

Sunday was even better.

Saturday night they continued snowmaking on Hawkeye for stellar conditions
sunday. Sunday was sunny and glorious. The winds were much lighter and the
temperatures more comfortable. I could have skied Hawkeye all day long,
until I skied Lies. Then I could have skied Lies all day long. They had guns
on it top to bottom for an all-day man-made snowstorm. It was sweet!!

I did venture away for a few other runs. Top Ridge was pretty heinous. It
hardly had any snow on it,  though it had a very firm, yet carveable
styrofoam-like surface. The groomer who grooms that trail and Uncas is a
friend of mine. He had the night off so it didn't get groomed and it was
pretty ugly early in the morning before the sun with skier traffic softened
it up.

Before we ended our day we made the trek into Tahawus glade. I love this
glade. It's a bit of an effort to get in there. Kinda like an in-bounds
backcountry trail that seems quite different than the rest of the ski area.

Gore really held up well this weekend and made for a very pleasant ski
experience for all who were there.

On our way home we decided to go for a 2 hour ski into the Siamese Ponds
Wilderness via Route 8. We got 10 minutes up the trail and it turned from a
good snowpack to a rocky glacial mess. Once we came upon a very sketchy
section that would have been certain death (to our new Fischer Rebounds) we
decided to turn around and make call it a day and drive home with the sun in
our faces.

9 days in a row on skis!!!! Not bad for a low snow year. But it is really
because we didn't have a good snow year that I ski so much. I gotta ski
while I can, as it seems there will not be snow for too much longer. A warm
up with R@!n is in the forecast for the end of the week. I will ski each day
until conditions no longer permit.