SKIVT-L March 2006, Week 3

Trifecta

Roger Klinger <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:46:53 -0500

Three skiers: Jim Crowley, Evan O., and myself, each with our own idea of what terrain we should
check out in the farthest northern reaches of Vermont.  Why not check out all three?  If you roll the
dice often, the odds are you won't always get parc.

We started with Jim's plan first, the Northern aspects of a region around Boreal Bluebird. We
started up a logging road and soon found a property line that was conveniently cut up the
mountain and through the birches. The evergreens came too soon and after about 700-800 feet
of climbing, the forest became thick enough that we knew it was time to turn around. The conifers
gave up patches of 3-4 good turns at a time, but when we got down to the birches we had several
hundred feet of very good skiing in boot-top pow-pow(tm). Jim remarked, "Now this is real
backcountry skiing.  I bet nobody's ever skied here."  We had a second to think about the
unlikliness of that idea before Jim appended his statement with "At least not often." It didn't
matter how often it got skied.  On Saturday it was all ours.

Next was EO's turn, and we drove around to the other side of the ridge, where Evan had the idea
of skiing a power line, and possibly some other chutes spilling off the ridge. Getting out of the
car, we found perfect conditions for Mr. Windpower, as it felt like all of Quebec's atmosphere was
trying to move itself through the little gap and down the narrow valley in which we stood.  We
debated whether a wind-turbine  placed here would spoil the scenery of the powerline.

There was a major obstacle between ourselves and the ridgeline; a beaver pond.  The wind had
blown the snow all the way to Mansfield for one of Scott's powder shots, so I shouldered the skis
and started walking, looking for a safe place to cross the frozen stream/pond/dam. Within 100
yards I was standing knee deep in water, wondering if I should mention to the others that my way
wasn't the safe way.

We went back to the car, changed socks and tried again. Back into the wind, with wet boots,
working around the pond, eying the 8' high beaver lodge and the tree stumps gnawed at a point
higher than my belly button.  I pondered the size of that beaver and thanked Ullr that I was able to
get my legs out of the pond before they could be whittled into toothpicks by that  rodent.

Safely on the other side of the pond, we traversed. And traversed.  Each of the chutes turned out
to be like the woman you see in a bar through beer-goggles: good from afar, but far from good.
Perhaps the most attractive/ugliest lady in the whole place was Ms. Powerline. She was dressed
seductively in a gown that let you see much of her body, and she was perched at the head of the
drainage as if she were dancing on top of a table, beckoning us with her gracious lines.
Unfortunately, as we got near, we noticed that her skin was pockmarked and scarred in the same
way that so many VT powerlines are, with hundreds of thorny bushes.  We weren't about to lay
skins on that body.

After the lemons that came up with the last pull of the lever, it was time for a safe bet.  We headed
south to Nil Pig. The snow here was slightly heavier than at our first stop of the day, but that only
hindered our  plowing into the crust that lay below.  Despite our very late start on this very
popular playground, there was plenty of excellent untracked snow, settled to 4-6" from a
supposed 2' that fell during the week.  After our first run from the summit through the incredibly
open and pretty terrain, Jim commented that he now understood why a certain VTler had been
here so often this year.  Evan said something about it quite possibly having been the best run of
the year.

So we headed to the summit again.  Because I had date to attend a party with a hot woman, Evan
and I agreed that we would ski past the CT and down to the road, from which  we would walk to
the car, while Jim would make the most of the light and ski one more run.  A plan that would have
worked for all, except that Evan disappeared half way down the run.

Jim and I waited at the CT crossing for a good while, thinking Evan was still uphill of us.  We
shouted his name.  We debated the unlikelihood that he got injured on such mellow  terrain, and
decided that he had somehow passed us up and skied down to the road 400' below.  So down we
went, each of us being dealt new untracked lines to the bottom, where we did not find Evan.

Snake eyes.

With the hour approaching 5pm, we shifted into a serious search mode, throwing skins on quickly
and calling Evan's name repeatedly.  At the CT, we decided that Jim would go to the car to see if
Evan was by some chance there.  I would head to the summit, calling Evan's name into the wind
every 10-20 steps, listening to the trees answering.  Near the summit, I knew I was above where I
had last seen Evan.  I shouted out his name one last time and heard my name echoed back.

I called out again.  "Evaaaaan!"

"rooooger"

It was Jim calling.  Evan was back at the car.  He had stood on the CT and called our names into
the wind for fifteen minutes before heading to the trailhead.

Jim and I had lucked out again, because we got to take one last run, weaving through the slots in
between the trees and finding a jackpot paid in white gold.