]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  March 2006, Week 3

SKIVT-L March 2006, Week 3

Re: Pictures from Smuggs - 2006/03/18, and The Bindectomy

telenaut <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:44:09 -0500

Great pix, Eric.

I especially liked the two sequences of Ben, then Scott, disappearing
through the rabbit hole. They captured, for me at least, the surreality of
it all. First we were on a wide uphill trail, a solid line of trees along
our right. Ben points to what he calls an opening, but in fact, looks
nothing of the sort. I watch one after another gingerly edges down into the
parted branches, bracing on whatever hapless trunk seems strong and near
enough to hold back gravity. Then release, whoosh, puff of smoke, gone.

My turn came and the magic turned adrenaline-laced, but no less astonishing.
In retrospect, that holy tihs feeling of actually setting an edge on that
initial dropoff and knowing maddog I'm gonna make this turn, the first of a
thousand more verts to come, remains the most powerful single memory etch of
the two days.

Another...

The long tall and at first tentative Texan getting progressively llabsier as
he reacquainted himself with Vt woods. I remember after one short break, he
pushed off a bit timidly then was soon bouncing big goofy turns in the
mountain's dips and bumps. I felt like yelling, rid'em cowboy. Eric, it was
great to see you whooping it up after what started for you as a washout of a
long-planned week's vacay.

And here's where I want to publicly thank Eric for enticing me (and Bruno &
K) up to Snyggs on what was sposed to have been a 'bush weekend. nmaD, but
that place is a pain to get to from phlatland. Sure was worth it this time,
though. Thanks, also, to B&K, Scott, Jimmy, the K half of the Two Rogers,
Evan, and last-minute, Nile and Lynne for contributing to a great weekend.

+ + +

Then there's Ben's amazing bindectomy...

(Following is low-interest tele binding stuff, low interest, that is, except
to the geeks who find this tele binding stuff interesting. Geeks--Ben, Dana,
Andy, Rob come to mind first--whose comprehension of this stuff I cannot
comprehend, but for which I am extremely grateful, and never more so than
this past weekend.)

My January new-equipment deluge has been a mixed blessing. The
bargain-basement TM22s and O3 bindings, with the new T2Xs, have performed
like perfect little horizontal pogo sticks, bouncing me through effortless
and precise-as-I-want-'em little quick turns. They are a blast on the
groomers.

But the Lines and all-mountain 7tms, with the stiff T2Xs, have been misery.
Andy more than anyone else has been subjected to my whining and moaning as
I've struggled to control them on the hardly demanding proving ground that
is Mountain Crock, New Jersey (also at K). Others have listened to me hctib
at MRG.

I take the things out, grimly bind them to my quaking feet, push off down
whatever incline, then hopefully perfom what motions I imagine might make
them turn. (T-turn. P-turns come easy in them.) The problem is the boot's
stiffness, said by Black Diamond to be the same as last year's T1, and the
binding's neutrality. Lift the rear heel and I''m immediately up on rear
tiptoe, with no control over rear ski.

Or I can force all my weight down onto rear ski in order to get some
semblance of contact between ball of rear foot and ski. (And this isn't like
that beginner edict where you say "when it feels like you've got 90% of your
weight on youyr rear ski, you've probably got it about 50/50." I've been
doing this curtsy long enough know when there's too much weight in back.
When you turn and you feel like an iguana swinging a giant tail behind you,
the turn finishing itself behind your back while your front ski points up
and practically off the snow and you're watching it from what feels like
miles behind, that's when you know there's too much weight in back.)

So I'd go out and ski like that, kinda figuring what doesn't kill me will
either make me stronger or soften the nmad boots. It wasn't exactly fun, and
it wasn't exactly working.

Andy chimed in: "I predict you are never going to be happy with those boots
on that binding." Great.

Ben said, "You need 7tm powers." Again, great. I'd gotten the 7tms on his
say-so and now I had to risk throwing good $ after bad? (P.S. while
everyone--Karhu included, not to mention some very knowledgeable
dealers--says you can convert the all-mountrains to powers, everyone says
you need some part from someone else and no one seems willing to sell that
part. Plus there's the filing, which, laugh if you want, for a non-geek like
me, seemed hopelessly intimidating.)

Saturday, in a field hospital at the back of his Suby, Ben performed the
necessary filing, the "bindectomy" (and made it look easy, in the process).
Then switched my all-mountains for his powers.

Whoa.

Do you know the tiny little pitch from Smuggs Parking lot #1 down to the
Sterling Lift? In the space of that pitch, my grin went ear-to-ear.

Instantly, the Lines were carving for me, while I did nothing more than the
same normal motions that normally produce the turn-skid, turn-skid that I
call normal skiing. Now they were carving effortlessly.

We did a groomer run. What blessed relief. On the lift ride up I babbled
incoherently to Ben about what a difference the bindings made. (I say
incoherently because when I asked him, plainly enough, it seemed to me,
about making the loan of his powers permanent, he had no idea what I was
talking about.)

We did a woods run. I caught up with Scott at the bottom of a little powder
pitch, a pitch where binding and skis had performed for me exactly as if I
dreamed the turn, looked 'round at the wooded opening we found ourself in
and said, "excuse me, please, Scott, while I have a ski orgasm."

It was that good.

All thanks to a pin under the ball of the foot that makes the binding
"active." You geeks have tried to explain this stuff to me but I only get
what I feel. Now it makes sense.

Next project is to somehow procure my own powers. If I have to, I'll buy a
whole set, now that I at least know what they'll do. And next project after
that is to try the all-mountains with my old, softer T2s. Any of you geeks
care to make any predictions on how that little experiment will turn out?

--telestylin'nowbronaut

,