Re: Anyone use Camashia Studio?

Rob Maurizi <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:34:55 -0400

Timothy- Yes, we've used it. Yes, it can in fact be used with WebCT
(it spits out an .AVI or .SWF file for you which can be embedded in a
web page). There are SIMILAR products for the Mac, but none that I've
seen that have .SWF output capability.

I've used Snapz Pro X[1] most extensively. It will do still and
motion captures with audio of your desktop (or a window, or a
selection, etc.) and output to several different file types
(.JPG, .PSD, .MOV, .PNG, etc...). In fact, if you check the archives
of this list, Justin Henry sent a link to a motion capture on doing
something in MovableType that was created with this tool.

However, Snapz Pro doesn't have the slick Flash integration that some
other products have (the ability to add other layers, etc.. after the
fact). Your best solution here would be to run the .MOV file through
FinalCut or something to be able to add any necessary titles,
overlays, dubs, etc... But if you're just looking for straight screen
capture, then the .mov that Snapz spits out should be fine.

Other Windows options include Adobe (nee Macromedia) Captivate (nee
RoboDemo). I look forward to the remote possibility that Adobe writes
a Mac version of Captivate (which never got any real attention from
Macromedia after they bought the company that created RoboDemo). I've
found the windows version to be slow & clunky, but again, that was
Macromedia...

-Rob

[1] http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

--

Rob Maurizi
Web Developer / Flash Developer

Center for Teaching & Learning
University of Vermont

http://rmaurizi.blog.uvm.edu/

"Trying to make everyone happy makes no one happy"