LISTSERV Archives

FSCP-SIG Home

FSCP-SIG  April 2006

FSCP-SIG April 2006

Booksigning by SIG member

Pam Kay <[log in to unmask]>

Family, School, Community Partnerships SIG

Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:29:45 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Greetings: if you're going to be at AERA in San Francisco next weekend,
I'd like to invite you to a book signing for my new book, Saturday April
8th in the exhibit hall at the Peter Lang Publishers booth. I'll be there
from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Thanks! Edward Olivos

The Power of Parents: A Critical Perspective of Bicultural Parent
Involvement in Public Schools

Series: Counterpoints  Vol. 290 	Year of Publication: 2006
New York, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Frankfurt am Main, Oxford, Wien, 2006. 152 pp.
Peter Lang Publishers, Inc.	ISBN 0-8204-7478-9  pb.

Book synopsis

Delving into the often unexplored areas of class, race, and power
struggles, The Power of Parents poses a unique and original critical
examination of the relationship between bicultural parents and the school
system. Written with students and practitioners in mind, it challenges
past research that has traditionally argued bicultural parents are
incompetent, apathetic, and do not value education, hence the cause of
their children's academic underachievement. This book sheds new light on
why bicultural parents often mistrust the school system and uncovers the
contradictions inherent in the relationship between them and school
personnel.

The Author: Edward M. Olivos is Assistant Professor in the Division of
Teacher Education at California State University, Dominguez Hills. He
received his Ph.D. in education jointly from San Diego State University
and Claremont Graduate University. His research interests include: Latinos
and education, bicultural parent involvement, policy studies, bilingual
education and critical pedagogy. He has published professional articles
and book chapters in those areas.

For more information: http://www.peterlang.com/index.cfm?vID=67478&vLang=E

Edward M. Olivos
Assistant Professor
California State University, Dominguez Hills
Division of Teacher Education
1000 E. Victoria Street
Carson, CA 90747
(310) 243-2385

Pam Kay         [log in to unmask]                 VOICE MAIL (802) 656-8551
School Research Office, Suite 201 Mann Hall,          FAX  (802) 656-9416
208 Colchester Avenue, Burlington VT 05405-1757    http://www.uvm.edu/sro

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and do not
represent a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Vermont.