SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE April 2006

Re: Democracy Isn't `Western'

Richard Levins <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 1 Apr 2006 06:53:21 -0500

  Addendum to "Democracy isn't western": Democracy isn't democracy either.
The history of democracy in the "west" has been that of general principles
proclaimed for all but intended for the few, peoples struggles to take the
slogans seriously, a long term extension of formal rights along with the
processes for nullifying them in practice. At a time when every town had a
print shop and every printer was also a publisher, freedom of the press was
a major way for at least a section of the people to form their opinions
through the relatively free discussion of a relatively broad range of
issues. Once the press is monopolized and governments use the press as an
arm of psychological warfare it is no longer a bastion of democracy but of
control. Voting implies choice, but the dual processes of transferring
decision making outside of the public process and of turning public office
increasingly into marketable commodities constricts that choice. The low
intensity democracy that the present US regime is calling for  to
spread  throughout the world really is the appropriate political form for a
globalized corporate society. Therefore in Bolivia and Venezuela the
revolutionary movements acted or are acting to adopt  new constitutions.
After all, the old ones worked well: election after election, President
after President left the old oligarchies in control. That is why the
Ecuadorean indigenous movement is calling for establishing the country on a
new foundation. In contrast, in Uruguay, Brazil and Argentine progressive
governments working within the constraints of the old democracy can enact
beneficial laws, carry out some redistribution of wealth, but not change
the power structure, the "realities" within which they have to be
"realistic", the practicalities within which "pragmatism" can be safely
praised. In Venezuela, Bolivia and Cuba the evolution is toward a
combination of representative and participatory democracy with an
increasing weight toward participatory.
         Therefore we shouldn't talk about "democracy" without qualifiers--
corporate, popular, etc.