SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE May 2006

National Day of Out(r)age - May 24th

Phil Gasper <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 May 2006 12:55:26 -0700

NATIONAL DAY OF OUT(R)AGE

SaveAccess.org, a national coalition of community media organizations
and individuals, is coordinating a nationwide day of protests with
actions taking place in  New York City, Chicago, Boston, San
Francisco on Wednesday, May 24th

FAIR is helping to organize the New York City protest.
Join us. Make your voice heard.

Wednesday, May 24th
at the Verizon World Headquarters
140 West Street (at Vesey Street).

12:30-1:30pm (Pre-assemble at 12:15pm)
A/C/E/2/3 trains to Chambers St.
www.saveaccess.org/protest
(Times and locations of other nationwide actions listed below)

We are protesting:
1) Telco-driven congressional legislation (HR 5252 and S.2686) that
endangers public access centers and channels, threatens to red-line
communities, and undermines an open internet by not protecting net
neutrality.

We need to stop these bills in their current form -- we need more protections.

2) Telco collusion with the NSA to illegally violate the privacy of
tens of millions of Americans.

We need to demand an investigation and enforcement of the law.

3) The Telco campaign to buyoff statehouse and congressional
representatives around the country to push their legislation through.

We need real campaign finance reform and political transparency.

4) The Telco policy of using "astroturf" groups to push their
deceptions on the public.

We need to expose these campaigns for what they are -- corporate propaganda.

5) The mergers and takeovers within in the Telco industry that have
resulted in the loss of tens of thousands of jobs.

We need to stop the AT&T - BellSouth merger until there is
accountability and thorough anti-trust reviews.

Other Day Of Out(r)age actions across the country include:

Boston
Rally: 1:30 - 2:00 pm  In front of the Massachusetts State House, Beacon Street

Press Conference: 2:00 - 3:30 pm  The Grand Staircase at the
Massachusetts State House

Chicago
The Event: "AT&T: Bringing Us To Tiers"

The Place: Outside the AT&T / SBC building, at the intersection of
Congress Parkway and South Federal Street in downtown Chicago (just a
block south of the Library / State and Van Buren CTA station,
immediately west of the Harold Washington Library Center)

Date/Time: Wednesday, May 24, 4pm - 6pm

San Francisco
Two Community Actions hosted by Media Alliance

12 Noon at AT&T Park
Join media advocates & community activists out front of the SF Giants
game for some activist style theatrical sports. Help make the point
that consumers won't play ball with AT&T and other Telcos that play
ball with the NSA.

4:00pm - 6:00pm at AT&T's main San Francisco headquarters 666 Folsom
Street - between 2nd & 3rd

More info at: http://saveaccess.org/protest

Members of the SaveAccess.org Coalition include:

Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR), NYC Grassroots Media
Coalition, Paper Tiger TV, Center for Digital Democracy, Free Press,
Association for Community Networking, Action Coalition for Media
Education, Chicago Media Action, Media Alliance, Media Tank,
CCTV-Cambridge and the Center for Media & Democracy

******
Our subscriber list is kept confidential.  To unsubscribe from this
list at any time, visit our web at:
instructions.  Or send an email to [log in to unmask] with
?unsubscribe? in the subject line.

Feel free to respond to FAIR ( [log in to unmask] ). We can't reply to
everything, but we will look at each message. We especially
appreciate documented examples of media bias or censorship. And
please send copies of your email correspondence with media outlets,
including any responses, to [log in to unmask]

Your donation to FAIR goes a long way.  Help us hold mainstream media
accountable.  Make a difference ? Support FAIR today!
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=103

If you would prefer to receive these messages in HTML format, please
visit our website to change your Email Preferences. Go to:
http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/fair/signUp.jsp?key=708.

SUBSCRIBE TO EXTRA! AND GET FAIR'S NEW BOOK FOR FREE:
The Oh Really? Factor
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=114

FAIR SHIRTS: Get your "Don't Trust the Corporate Media" shirt today
at FAIR's online store: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=110

FAIR produces CounterSpin, a weekly radio show heard on over 130
stations in the U.S. and Canada. To find the CounterSpin station
nearest you, visit http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=115

FAIR
(212) 633-6700
http://www.fair.org/