VTBIRD Archives

May 2006

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
From:
- Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 07:46:12 EDT
Among the increasing numbers of "summer birds" on my property, there are
still pine siskins chowing down on niger seed. This is the latest I've ever seen
this species.

Also - bitterns "onk-a-chonking"   at Missisquoi Refuge on Saturday and what
I'm pretty sure were   least bitterns calling. Can anyone describe their sound
for me? What I heard I'd describe as a monkey-like hooting and laughing.

The Refuge also has lots of duck pairs: ring-necked ducks, mallards, black
ducks, wood ducks, green-winged teal and possibly blue-winged teal. There are at
least two pairs of nesting ospreys and many great-blue herons. (I don't know
if they've re-established nesting at the old Metcalf Island rookery. Does
anyone know?)

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center