VTBIRD Archives

May 2006

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Gregory R. Askew" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 12:07:55 -0400
Returned yesterday from a two-week trip to Ireland, where the birding
was wonderful. If anyone would like details please contact me off the
list.
One thing really struck me during the trip...the infrequency that I
came across starlings, house sparrows, and feral pigeons only to return
to the US and see them nearly the whole stretch from NYC to Vergennes.
Why don't they dominate in Ireland (native territory) the way they do
here?

Took a short walk at DCWMA this morning. Here are the highlights:
1 Least Bittern calling from the Cattails
1 Virginia Rail
Alder and Willow Flycatchers
Smalls flocks of peeps (Least?)
a good assortment of warblers and vireos
and finally an entire cell of House Sparrows around the nest boxes at
the goose viewing area. One question...why bother setting up them up if
we're only drawing the tree swallows to the demise of their offspring
or even the adults themselves. Wouldn't the swallows have better
chances with a more out of the way tree cavity away from the roads,
farms, and habitations. Besides by leaving the nest boxes up we're only
assisting the house sparrows in maintaining their hold on that
territory. Just a thought...
Greg
Vergennes