VTBIRD Archives

May 2006

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Gregory R. Askew" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2006 21:32:59 -0400
Near the trailhead for Snake Mountain (20 mins):
Drumming Ruffed Grouse
Ovenbird
Catbird
E. Towhee
Thrush sp. (Got to brush up on my songs!)
among others

Dead Creek: A lovely walk along the marsh and a short distance into the
woods by the east parking lot turned up these highlights (at least for
me!):
Hooded Merganser (pair)
3 Am. Bittern (1 in flight and 2 posing): one in fact took up its erect
posture atop of a muskrat lodge, no cover to speak of. It was quite
comical.
Warbling Vireo (looking more beautiful than I think I've ever seen 'em
before)Yellow and Yellow-rumped warblers (my first warblers of the year)
Baltimore Oriole
Wood Thrush
and 2 beautiful white-crowned sparrows singing!