I have a bizarre event that I would like some help on since I have never
seen this before.
We have a pair of Phoebes that have made a nest over and outdoor motion
sensitive light that is under the eve of a shed roof. The nest has 5 eggs
Yesterday, when I opened the shed, I noticed the tail of a bird sticking out
of the nest and a longer than normal wing coming from one side. Normally
when I arrive at the shed the Phoebe leaves the nest well before I get near
it and stays off till I get what I'm after, and then when I leave she comes
back. However, this bird, the one on the nest, was not moving. Something
When I investigated, I found that it wasn't a Phoebe at all but a Cliff
Swallow facing toward the shed, in the nest, and dead.
1. This is the first time we have ever had a Cliff Swallow around here.
2. Why didn't the Phoebe kick this bird out of the nest?
3. A Phoebe was seen flying around when I removed the Cliff Swallow, BUT
the eggs were cool.
4. Should I remove the eggs to encourage the Phoebe to lay another
clutch, or will they abandon the nest anyway?
5. Any ideas as to why this event happened, or why it might have occurred
in the first place.
Arrowhead Lake Area
[log in to unmask]