]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  May 2006, Week 1

MEDLIB-L May 2006, Week 1

"Smith, Marlene B." <[log in to unmask]>

Smith, Marlene B.

Wed, 3 May 2006 12:27:08 -0500

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who responded.  I was asked
to summarize the NCME issue for the group.

The following is a list of responses concerning the NCME's decision to
drop DVD's from the subscription and offer on-line access only.  Flyers
and posters will be available on-line but they will not supply printed
material in the future.

There are 14 responses from both the Medlib-L and the Educational Media
and Technologies section of MLA and one phone response.  Most of the
wanted to know of another source for DVD's (which implies cancellation),
(I didn't respond to my own question, but if you include me, that would
make 6 possible cancellations), 1 was positive about on-line streaming,
and the rest are general comments or concern over the issue of lack of a
DVD option and other issues.  The responses are below:

1.          Concerning NCME Change:  We belong to TIP-TV (through GE)
and the VHA network.  We can tape live events to VHS or DVD and we make
those available in our library.  We also watch for events free through
the CDC or the Public Health Grand Rounds.

I think NCME is shooting themselves in the foot.  With all the free CME
around now I don't know how they have stayed in business.

I'm interested to hear this, as we subscribe & have heard NOTHING from
them.

I think we will probably drop it - doesn't get used that much now,
relative to the cost, and if they don't see it on the shelf to browse &
remind them it's around, I think it will drop to nothing.

2.         Please summarize.  I just got the letter and like you will
miss having a DVD.  I wonder what the subscription price will be.

3.         CME has got to be kidding.  Do they expect us to print off
all the color flyer to send to faculty and then print posters for the
buildings with this subscription cost?!  Email isn't always an option as
it is closely monitored and they do not want constant emails concerning
NCME.  Online access isn't as portable for small hospitals as they
think.  We use NCME DVD's for instruction not for CME.

4.         I'm sure this is great for large facilities with CME
departments catering to physicians only with large IT divisions.  But
small hospital libraries want the video collection for a variety of
staff requests, other than CME.  Are they going to want social security
numbers for this access ? Right now we refuse to provide SS#'s, it's a
violation of privacy.  Why aren't libraries given the option of DVD's?
I won't renew my subscription under these circumstances, I'll just buy
individual DVD's for specific topics from other companies but it won't
be as easy as subscribing.

5.         This is the first I have heard of this.  I have subscribed to
NCME since 1990.  Did you get a mailing from them?  I thought they were
phasing out the videocassettes, but I want the DVD's for sure.  I am not
happy.

6.         This is the first I have heard of this and I have been an
NCME subscriber for at least 20 years.  I think if it is true and they
won't change their minds- we will end up not renewing our subscription -
departments use the vhs and dvd's for education, physicians check them
out and watch them at home.    There are countless other online
resources ---

I certainly hope they change their minds.

Thanks for the heads up.

7.         I just learned about NCME's idea to drop DVDs from the
listserv.

I have never received any notification from the company.

I just got off the phone with my rep at NCME and she said that
everything was negotiable, that they might still be able to provide DVDs
and the best way for us to proceed is to write all our concerns in an
email to our reps who will then present them at a meeting.

I got the feeling that the meeting was going to be held pretty soon- so
email your reps soon.

(She also said the their concept is that our physicians can use our
hospital ID numbers to view their material online as they wait in
airports... my problem with that is how are they going to remember yet
another ID number?  Not to even mention all the other negatives...

8.         Hi Marlene - thanks for posting this information, I didn't
know anything about it.  I talked with our Collection Development
Librarian and she didn't know about it either.  Then in this afternoon's
mail she got a letter from NCME.

I will say that I do agree with you about the convenience/ease of use of
DVDs.  Although I am excited about the streaming videos too.

I'm unsure if the switch to online only will be a problem for my
library.  Right now the people that will be hurt the most by this change
are our non-affiliated users.  But those users cannot currently check
out media anyway so it might not make any difference.

I'd like to know more about how the online content will be provided -
and if we will be able to share it with our faculty & students that are
not on our campus.

9.         We've not received a video or DVD from NCME since early
December.  Have you been receiving them steadily?  We have confirmation
that they received our payment, and some vague answer about them being
behind in production...

10.        I was not aware of NCME's decision (we gave up our
subscription years ago to videos due to cost/non-use) so I was glad you
sent out this email. Yes, I do agree with you....our students still use
CDs and DVDs and videos for learning and faculty are creating material
on DVD, so I am surprised that NCME decided to go totally computer
electronic so to speak! There will be times when the websites will be
inaccessible due to internet problems, viruses, etc., electrical issues,
poor wireless atmosphere, etc. but many publishers are moving toward
this trend. Does NCME indicate that users could copy an "electronic
video" onto a CD or DVD? Maybe they think they can make more money with
online subscriptions.

......many of my students tell me they don't want to read a book or
partial book on a computer and still borrow many books. We digitize our
audio lectures but still also tape them on audiotape as a backup, which
we have had to turn to several times, and students love to download the
lectures onto their Ipods or burn it onto a CD, and I think users might
find it easier to be handed a video or CD or DVD, rather than having to
surf around, click 4 or 5 times and find their way to the online stuff,
then navigate, open and close windows, etc. It does eliminate a lot of
staff/user interaction and leads to distance between librarian and user
I think...just my thoughts....

11.        Have they considered allowing libraries to download and burn
DVDs on demand for their clientele?  I my mind that would be an a
win-win compromise, especially if they provided each library with a PC
including a DVD burner (one time option; daughter just ordered a Dell
system with this capability for $520)

12.        I recall a survey about types of format, but that was about
discontinuing videocassettes and going strictly with DVD and CD.  I said
I still would like videocassette.  They said videocassettes were
expensive to do.

13         We will not be printing flyers because it's too expensive,
time consuming, on-line is not as versatile for use and does not allow
entire staff to use NCME

14.        I just received my NCME letter. In addition to the
information about switching from the DVD format to online,, they are
going to be providing posters., flyers, and program guides "as fully
-produced, color PDF documents - allowing you to download and print out
as many as you  need to promote each month's program."

 I, for one, do not have a color printer; nor did I put in paper and
toner into my budget to cover their posters, flyers and TV guides.

 My question is: Do any of you know of another company which provides
DVD's or VHS tapes on medical topics? Please respond to me directly - I
will summarize for the list if there is interest.

Marlene B. Smith, MLS

University of Missouri-Kansas City

School of Medicine

Medical Education Media Center