Re: [VTBIRD] bobolinks and savannahs

Barbara Brosnan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:22:22 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Hi Folks,
   Bobolinks confirmed in Middlebury 2 last summer.  Their location was a
field just south of the Addison County Field Days site.  We also confirmed
Savannah Sparrows there as well as a Field Sparrow.  Judy Peterson put us
onto this great location.       Barb Brosnan

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Allan Strong
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] bobolinks and savannahs

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

We have been conducting research on Bobolinks and Savannah Sparrows this
summer.  Both species have young that have fledged already.   Now is pretty
close to peak fledging time for Bobolinks on fields that have not been
disturbed by cutting.  On these uncut hayfields, they should be easy to
confirm, as most adults are feeding young.  Some Savannah Sparrows fledged
young as early as a couple weeks ago, and because of this, they are a
little more difficult to confirm.  Savannah Sparrows are actually starting
to incubate second clutches on uncut fields, and incubating renests on
fields cut earlier in the spring.  Pastures may be a better bet for
Savannah Sparrows for a couple reasons.  First, fences provide lots of
perches, thus more places to see birds carrying food.  Second, nests are
randomly trampled by cows, so there are birds in a variety of nesting
stages.

Allan