Golden-winged Warblers in Monkton

Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:14:28 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Apologies for a very tardy posting, but atlassers in Addison County
may be interested to learn of a small "colony" of Golden-winged
Warblers on Hollow Road in Monkton (N 44.23839 W 73.15053).  I was
there briefly late in the afternoon of June 17 and had 3 males
singing pure Golden-winged songs, all within a 2-3 hectare area.  One
bird was along a shrubby powerline on the S side of Hollow Rd,
another in a willow-dominated wetland also to S, the 3rd in a grove
of young poplar on the N side of Hollow Rd.  I had views of only 2
birds -- one was a pure Blue-winged (powerline bird), the other a
pure Golden-winged (on wetland border).

Folks at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, who are coordinating a
Golden-winged Warbler Atlas Project
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/gowap/, tell me that this is the
latitude (in NY at least) where the two species are intergrading, and
Blue-wingeds beginning to "swamp" Golden-wingeds.  The VT population
of either species is not well-documented.  If any local birders have
a chance to monitor this site over the next couple of weeks, both to
better document this small colony and perhaps to confirm breeding,
that would be great.  It's unlikely I'll be able to get back there.

Chris
Chris Rimmer
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science