]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BLOGGING Home

BLOGGING  July 2006

BLOGGING July 2006

Re: MEOW (was Creating a "sub" blog in MT 3.2)

Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:23:55 -0400

On Jul 7, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Karl Bridges wrote:

> I saw a plugin Meow which lets people send emails directly to the
> blog-- which is a handy feature.  It appears that this is something
> that is handled centrally?? I see no way for me to unpack and
> install these files.

The unpack and install is the easy part. The configure and make it
work step is the hard part.

To be specific, MEOW doesn't let people send emails directly to the
blog. Rather, people send emails to a specific email address, say

MEOW, either
  -- acting independently as a robot every 10 minutes or 2 hours or
whatever
  -- or manually via a web page URL ("click here to process emailed
posts")
  -- or even manually via a command line (ssh to zoo.uvm.edu, type
'perl meow.cgi').

then accesses those emails as a POP mail client, similar to
Thunderbird or WebMail or Exchange. It then acts a a web browser, and
passes the email to your blog as if you were writing a post using
FireFox.

So, step one in the configuration is to get a special email address
from account services or from an external service provider or on your
own suitably equipped office server, and make sure that email sent to
that address can be read via POP rather than just IMAP.

Now, download the meow stuff. You'll need the "with libraries"
version, as cgi.uvm.edu does not the Mail::POP3Client, Net::Blogger,
or HTML::TokeParser perl modules installed. Copy the meow.cgi script
to cgi.uvm.edu as loosely discussed at

	http://www.uvm.edu/webguide/tools/?Page=technology/
cgi.html&SM=technology/technologymenu.html

finally, configure the config.xml. Ultimately, you'll want to play
some security tricks with he meow.cgi and config.xml file so that
they aren't world-readable (the C-Wrapper trick, described at https://
www.uvm.edu/cit/mysql/?Page=04_solutions.html ).

So, there is a way for you to unpack and install the files. It's just
a bit complicated.

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77                              |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-656-0872  vv                             |
| aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath      http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/    |