Re: movable type = immovable object

David Houston <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:04:53 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

The answer?  Wordpress.  That's why it appears (to me at least) that more
than a few are going this route.  Put  it in your Zoo space, learn css at
a minimum and you're off to the races!

While I won't say that the answer provides a whole lot simpler process, I
have found it to be a LOT simpler to tweak.  Movable type is, as you note,
immobile!

	David Houston
	University of Vermont
	Phone: (802) 656 2013
	**
        "You are nestled in our hearts forever"
        **

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Ted Hart intoned:

TH:Hello...
TH:
TH:In a moment of frustration, I am driven to existential questions since
TH:practical ones seem even more impossible.  I wanted to simply start a
TH:mo-blog, and thought since I am a uvm student, why not use UVM's blogging
TH:site, it seemed like a good University community member thing to do.  Yet, I
TH:have found Movable Type to be the opposite of its name.  I have published on
TH:other blogging sites and found they allowed individual creativity in layout
TH:with an extensive template library, while still allowing it to be rather
TH:idiot proof.  I encounter movable type, and it is as if I have hit a total
TH:wall.  I find it to be the most impenetrable interface.  All I would like to
TH:do is add a bit of individual style to my blog, but I am finding it
TH:impossible to intuitively modify styles and layout, or implement other
TH:people's MT themes.  Before I am accused of simply being a luddite, I am
TH:getting my phd, not in computer science, but I write programs/ macros for
TH:excel, arcgis, and R, so I don't think its necessarily because I'm ignorant.
TH:I am sure that all my answers are in the documentation, but I wanted to ask
TH:others at UVM some questions.  One, why implement a system that is so unuser
TH:friendly?  Sure its powerful, but I don't want to spend my leisure time
TH:figuring out how to blog, I just want to type and go.  I spend 8+ hours a day
TH:reading dry technical manuals and programming, why do I want to do that with
TH:my blog?  Has anyone encountered this problem of finding MT difficult to use?
TH:I suppose I don't understand why if the university would want to foster a
TH:blogging community, it implements a technology that is far from easy for the
TH:average user to use.
TH:
TH:-Ted
TH: