MUNINET Archives

July 2006


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
John Cushing <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:42:01 -0400
text/plain (43 lines)
I may be wrong, but I do not see in S.150 that the Town Clerk is
required to do anything. I believe the Vermont Department of Motor
Vehicle would use a letter from the Town Clerk as a form of evidence of
residency. If you as Clerk are not sure the person is a resident then I
would not write the letter.  

John P. Cushing
Town Clerk & Treasurer
Town of Milton
PO Box 18
Milton, VT 05468
(802) 893-4111
Email: [log in to unmask]
Visit our website:

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Huntington Clerk/Treasurer's
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: certification letter

Maybe I missed the discussion on this... I received a letter requesting
that our office (and yours) provide a statement of certification of
residency in order for someone to get a Vermont drivers license.

Having delivered mail in our town for 8 years, I pride myself on knowing
most people here. However, I am uncomfortable signing a document stating
that someone lives here unless I know that the person lives here.

I thought the statement should read,

" I certify ______________ says s/he is a Vermont resident who claims to
reside in Huntington, having shown me a piece of mail addressed to
him/her in this town."

Any comments or suggestions? Or is what we are to say per statute.

Heidi Racht