MUNINET Archives

July 2006


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Donna Kelty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:21:41 -0400
text/plain (40 lines)

  The Sec. of State's Office, Division of Property Valuation and the VT
Dept of Taxes have published a booklet entitled "A Handbook on Property
Tax Appeals."  If you do nothing else MAKE SURE YOU GET A COPY OF THIS
BOOK.  This is the "bible of the tax appeal process" and is my savior.

  Under Section 24 VSA Section 801 states that when the Town clerk
schedules the intital meeting each member will receive WRITTEN notice at
least five days in advance of meeting.  This initial notice states that
hearings will continue as needed until all appellants are heard.  I do
not find anything which requires the Clerk to send written notice of the
"continuation" hearing(s).  

 To get a copy of the handbook go to the website:;
then select municipal information; then handbooks.  Scroll down the page
to "Handbook on Property Tax appeals."

Donna J. Kelty
Barre Town Clerk-Treasurer
[log in to unmask]
Visit our website at

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melissa Ross
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: meeting notices

Hello- I am getting ready for BCA hearings.  I will be notifying all
people who are appealing by certified mail, and posting notices of
meetings as required.  My question is this:  The BCA members would
prefer to be notified via e-mail rather than receiving a mailed hard
copy every week for a meeting they already know about.  Is this legal?
Thanks!  Missy