VTLEPS July 2006

VBS eNewsletter

Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:56:24 -0400

CHRYSALIS
The Occasional Newsletter of the Vermont Butterfly Survey
July 2006
Vol. 5 No. 3

Kent McFarland and Bryan Pfeiffer

Contents:

1. July: The Height of Vermont Butterfly Diversity!
2. Is Your Block Finished? Can You Help In Another Block?
3. Have You Left VBS?
4. Use VTLEPS email to join forces
5. Web Page Pick

*1. July: The Height of Vermont Butterfly Diversity!*

We hope your summer field season is going well. Being mid-July, we are
in the thick of Vermont butterfly diversity right now. There are plenty
of blocks that need some help. So hereís your chance to provide some
critical data to VBS. Weíve added a new Google Earth coverage to the web
site that shows the number of species reported from each block through
2005. They numbers are not exact, but they will give you an idea of what
blocks need some serious help. Not a Google Earth user? You can still
see the same data on our web page as a map or a list in a table. See all
the links below and happy field trip planning!

Hereís the quickest way to locate a block that needs more field work:
http://www.vinsweb.org/vbs/blockneed.htm

Google Earth Files:
Priority Blocks: http://www.vinsweb.org/vbs/kml/VBSpriorityBlocks.kml
Number of Species on Priority Blocks:
http://www.vinsweb.org/vbs/kml/SpeciesPerBlock.kml

PDF Map of Number of Species on Priority Blocks:
http://www.vinsweb.org/vbs/pdf/nospeciespriorityblocks_voucher_visual.pdf

*2. **Is Your Block Finished? Can You Help In Another Block?*

We sent a note to many of year in May about block assignments asking you
which blocks you would be working this summer and which you would be
dropping. If you have any blocks that you think are assigned to you and
you will not be visiting them, please let us know so we can get someone
onto them. You can view a complete list of the block assignments that we
have at http://www.vinsweb.org/vbs/blockassignbyblock.htm. Visit
http://www.vinsweb.org/vbs/effort.htm to learn how you are doing on your
block.

*3. Have you left VBS?
*If you donít think youíll be able to do any more survey work (we hope
not) PLEASE take a few minutes to gather and return any of your unused
voucher cards and glassine envelopes. Drop us a quick email so we donít
send you materials for this season. We need them back. You can mail them to:

Kent McFarland
Vermont Institute of Natural Science
27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT 05091

Thanks.

*4. Use VTLEPS email to join forces
*Want a partner to block bust? Need some advice? Wonder what others are
seeing? Join the VBS email list to get answers to all your butterfly
problems. A great place to advertise a last minute field trip to block
bust and get others to come and help. Visit
http://list.uvm.edu/archives/vtleps.html and join now.

*5. WEB PAGE PICK
*The NEW Butterflies of North America web page

The Butterflies and the Moths of North America page that shows records
by county and other information has been completely redone and the
address changed. Visit it at http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/. All of
the VBS records will be shared with this site at the end of VBS. *
*

Vermont Butterfly Survey
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science