SCHOOL-IT August 2006

Re: Deleting Online Predators Act

Stephen Barner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:23:03 -0400

It look like the most recent version of the bill may include the language "...is enforcing a policy of Internet safety for minors that includes monitoring the online activities of minors..." I wonder what the extent of that "monitoring" will entail. Right now, most schools filter online access, but few do any significant actual monitoring. I hope we don't end up with a requirement that schools cannot actually meet.

I also hope that this bill does not unduly restrict our ability to use distance learning by treating educational distance learning servers the same as social networking sites. The definitions could be made to sound quite similar.

Steve Barner
South Burlington High School

________________________________

From: School Information Technology Discussion on behalf of Darth Vader
Sent: Thu 8/3/2006 10:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Deleting Online Predators Act

I'm sure you all are aware of this bill passing Congress and is now off to the Senate.

At first I was really ticked off about the twits in government attempting to manage something they know nothing about... I mean, we all know that the internet is just a bunch of tubes and all those Blockbuster DVDs we're ordering will clog it all up.  But, after reading it a bit more, it sounds better... plenty of room for interpretation and I love the bit about having to notify parents about the potential dangers of the internet... great stuff, I'm a huge advocate of better communication with our communities.

Anyway, in case you haven't seen this ( http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:3:./temp/~c109oRRVCy:: ) it was passed 400+ to 15 (give/take) and now goes off to the Senate.

Is erate worth all these limitations?  Does this actually change much of what we are currently doing to protect our kids and our networks?

Mike

I forever wish to see the world through the eyes of a child,
full of wonder and amazement.
 Michael Vining, SB Network Services
550 Dorset Street
South Burlington, Vermont 05403