SCHOOL-IT September 2006

Re: SASI Staffing

Bob Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:53:59 -0400

>Here in Vergennes we are looking at staffing requirements and I'm
>interested in how districts are dealing with staffing for their Student
>Mgmt. Systems and working with data.
>
>Specifically we are using SASIxp with Integrade and Classxp.  If your
>district is also using SASI I'm interested in how many people are
>employed in the care and feeding of your system.

I'm the tech coordinator for Brattleboro Union HS.  We have a lot of folks
using it as part of their job, but no one who spends all of their day
"feeding the system".

I'm responsible for backing it up, applying upgrades and patches,
programming complex reports that can't be handled with SASI alone (I
created a process that automatically generates letters at absence
milestones, the one in SASI didn't fit our requirements, and we didn't
have the money to get the Weidenheimer add-on, for instance), and
generally consulting with users when they need to do something out of the
ordinary in SASI.  I'm also the first line of support for Integrade.  All
that is probably 10% of my job.  I also assist the attendance clerk and
principal's secretary with state reports by doing bulk data transfers from
SASI to the Access databases the state sends us.

The registrar and his full time secretary pretty much work with SASI all
day long.  They do the mass scheduling, then 5 counselors meet with kids
to tweak it and do add/drops.  They also handle new registrations, both
incoming freshmen and the transfers that happen all year long.   They
generate the grade and progress reports. They also fulfill transcript
requests for former students.  The registrar is really the SASI system
administrator, adding new staff to the SASI security, training new
teachers in attendance, building desktops, writing queries for folks, etc.

There's a full time attendance clerk who signs kids in and out, calls home
to check on the absent kids, updates the absence reasons in SASI, etc.
She probably has SASI in front of her all day long.

The discipline module is fed by the secretaries for the three vice
principals who's job it is to meet with the kids who get written up.  They
also generate the discipline letters that go home, we have Weidenheimer's
discipline letter generator for that, it takes minutes a day.  Doing this
is part of each secretary's day, maybe 10%.

The principal's secretary tracks the free and reduced lunch population in
SASI. It's a small but important piece of her job.

The counseling office secretary enters college entrance exam scores in
SASI, and sends transcripts to colleges for kids.

Every teacher takes attendance in SASI, every block.  If anyone is having
computer problems, or there's a sub for the day, they can call the
attendance clerk and she'll do it for them, but she'll urge them to see me
if it's the former reason, not the latter.  We used to use bubble sheets
for attendance, and only entered daily attendance in SASI, not period
attendance, but last year we bought all the teachers laptops and started
doing attendance each period.

These are the principal folks who feed SASI.  There's lots more that use
the data that's in there.  Virtually everyone in an administrative
position uses it to find out where to catch up with a kid at any given
time.

There's a more or less full time person called the school improvement
coordinator, who mostly works with staff committees to write the action
plan and implement it.  She occasionally uses the data in SASI to generate
statistical reports.