VTLEPS September 2006

Re: Azures and Fritillaries - followup

Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:14:49 -0400

Atlantis. That eye is very washed out. Given the ragged look to
butterfly... and assuming the camera was true to color, I wonder if they
fade with age? Yet another question to explore... We often age songbirds
in fall by iris color, never thought we might do that with a butterfly :)

Kent

VTLEPS automatic digest system wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
> 1. surveys in North Troy 2 and Hazen's Notch 1
> 2. Appalachian Browns, Grand Isle.
> 3. Azures and Fritillaries - followup (2)

> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:40:25 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: surveys in North Troy 2 and Hazen's Notch 1

> ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C6D365.7C3BF6A0
>
> I surveyed three very small sites in the North Troy 2 block vouchered 3 =
> and saw
> Monarch-5
> Sulphur5
> Ringlet-7
> Blue-1
> White Admiral-1
> Cabbage White-2
> Mourning Cloak-1
> Milbert's Tortoiseshell-1
> Fritillary-2
> Red Admiral-2
> Black Swallowtail
> I also surveyed Hazen's Notch 1 vouchered 5 and saw
> Monarch-16
> Blue-1
> Sulphur21
> Cabbage White-6
> Ringlet-5
> Crescent-7
> Wood Nymph-1
> Red Admiral-3
> Comma-Patty Lambert
> ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C6D365.7C3BF6A0

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I surveyed three very small sites in =
> the North Troy=20
> 2 block vouchered 3&nbsp;and saw</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Monarch-5</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sulphur5</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ringlet-7</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Blue-1</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>White Admiral-1</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cabbage White-2</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mourning Cloak-1</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Milbert's Tortoiseshell-1</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fritillary-2</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Red Admiral-2</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Black Swallowtail</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also surveyed Hazen's Notch 1 =
> vouchered 5 and=20
> saw</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Monarch-16</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Blue-1</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sulphur21</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cabbage White-6</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ringlet-5</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Crescent-7</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wood Nymph-1</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Red Admiral-3</FONT></DIV>
> [...]

Kent McFarland
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science
27023 Church Hill Rd.