AIKIDO October 2006

Meeting Minutes

UVM Aikido Club <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:49:29 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know what happened at the meeting this
last Friday.  It was a great turnout, we just need to keep the
ethusiasm going in order to make this work.  There is someone working
on seeing if we can possibly beg some money from SGA. There was much
talk about fundraising and how to do it from nothing.  There were the
traditional/easier ideas of bake sales, or maybe a healthier food sale
to start us off.  There is someone looking into seeing if there is
some way we can sell popcorn or some other good things at the
Friday/Saturday movie night at CC Theater.  Another idea was finding
someone who would donate something college students would want that we
could raffle off.  A raffle could be held at some event or over a
longer period of time (like a week) with a stand outside of the
library.  For the raffle there was an idea to see if we could get a
couple Higher Ground Tickets, a ski pass, and/or a dinner for two to a
restaraunt.  Those are just ideas and if any of you have any
connections to a place that might donate a product or services to a
club, please let me know and look into it.

In order to be a club, we need to function more like one.  That is why
it was brought up that even though there are people who aren't members
of the dojo really can't do any (or anymore for the class members)
aikido right now for a variety of reasons.  Until the club can get
back on its feet the idea of meeting at the Gutterson Fieldhouse
fitness center was mentioned.  We will be meeting on Wednesdays,
starting this Wednesday Ooctober 18th at 4pm.  I'll send out a
reminder every week on Tuesday and anyone can come.  We will just be
doing an aerobic workout and hanging out supporting each other that
way.  I am looking into, and it would be ideal, if we could get a
space once a week somewhere on campus to practice some very basic
aikido on our own.  The only problem is finding a place that is open
that has some mats.  Anything we would practice would be just be
working on our own falls, rolls, and any other basics.  If I can find
a space, this won't be a class because it will just consist of club
members, it would just be a space where we can practice on campus as a
club.  But until that can be done, we will be meeting at the Fitness
Center.

I really appreciate the ethusiasm I recieved at the third club meeting
and I hope we can keep it going.  I have high hopes and everyone,
please keep in touch.  I know midterms are around this time for
everyone, but have a good week and good luck.

Danielle