Re: Fish Crow? @ the intervale, Burlington

Richard Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:20:36 -0500

For the record, I did find Fish Crows in Bennington back in the late 1980's.
I'll need to go back to my old records to find the details.

Rich Guthrie

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Allan Strong
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 9:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Fish Crow? @ the intervale, Burlington

Although Fish Crows have yet to be confirmed as a breeding bird in Vermont,
they are annual spring/summer visitors to Chittenden County, with Red
Rocks, Centennial Woods, and Price Chopper being favored hang-outs.  There
was one that may have been at the Intervale during the Thayer's Gull visit
last winter, but never confirmed.  So, it would be a nice bird to document
as there isn't much data between August and February.

At 04:18 PM 11/12/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm fairly sure I had a fish yesterday while biking at the Intervale
>along the Winooski River.  I took a movie and I have the crow calling
>in the background but its not that clear.  I have Fish crows in my
>backyard back at home so I am very familiar with them.  Are there
>fish crows in Vermont?  I can send the movie file to anyone who is
>interested.  Also there are many gulls hanging around the compost
>there and I'm hoping something interesting will show up there.  I
>also had a Drake and a Hen Long-tailed Duck last Tuesday at Shelburn
>Bay Park with my geology class.  Sorry for the previous post, I meant
>to sent it only to Ken Copenhaver.
>
>Thomas Ford-Hutchinson
>Doylestown, PA

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910